Student Accommodation FAQ

UniLodge JCU Halls of Residence – George Roberts Hall
Frequently Asked Questions

The Resident Handbook is designed to help you to get to know the building and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a resident. We hope that this Handbook will prove useful to you in answering any questions you have, and in assisting you with the most common concerns that you may have. 

How do I reserve a room?

Click the Apply Now button and complete your application. We will contact you within 3 business days by email to offer you an available room. Once you have received an offer of accommodation with UniLodge you will be required to pay the following fees to secure your accommodation;

  • Application Fee $55 
  • Administration Fee of $350
  • Annual Fees of $60 for Residential Life Program, $30 Facilities Fund and $30 Damages Fund 
  • 2 Weeks rent paid upfront   

What kind of contracts does the property offer?

Academic Year contract (41 weeks), Semester 1 and Semester 2 contracts (21 weeks). Early arrivals or contract extensions are available upon request. 

Please note, Semester One contracts are only available to Study Abroad and Exchange Students, or those who are completing their course mid-year.  

Do you have car park facilities?

Parking is available at each site. Permits are compulsory for University Halls residents and are available from University Halls reception. 

What do I need to bring on arrival?

Your apartment is furnished with a king single bed (with mattress protector), study desk and chair, wardrobe, fridge, and microwave. You will need supply all of your own linen & kitchen equipment – available online via our convenient UniLodge online shop, Your Shop.

If I wanted to move rooms after I moved in, is that possible?

Yes, but your request will be based on availability - and you will be required to pay a room move fee prior to doing so. 

Can I move out at any time?

When you move into your apartment, you sign a Residential Agreement. This is a legally binding document that means you have committed to paying rent from the start date on your contract until the end date of your contract. However, if you have no choice but to move out, you can break your lease. This means that you need to pay an early termination fee and the rent until someone else takes over your contract.

What happens when I vacate?

You need to leave your apartment clean and tidy and ensure all personal items have been removed, report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy. You will also need to make sure that all of your rent and fees are paid up until the end of your contract end date.

What is a condition report?

The ‘Condition Report’ records the property’s general condition including fittings and fixtures. When you check-in we will provide you with a condition report to complete, sign and return to the office within 3 business day. The ‘Condition Report’ is a very important document, as it can be used to dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items, particularly at the end of a tenancy. You may want to take photos of your apartment at the start of your tenancy to further show the condition. You may be liable for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items at the end of your tenancy if it is not recorded on the condition report.

What fees do I need to pay?

  • Application Fee $55 
  • Administration Fee of $350
  • Annual fee including: $60 for Activities, $30 Facilities and $30 Damages 
  • 2 Weeks rent paid upfront 

Where can I find resources to manage my health and wellbeing?

UniLodge has listed a number of resources on our Student Health and Wellbeing page.

What are your check-in times and days?

Residents may check-in Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

Do you offer after hours check-in?

Yes, please contact our after hours on duty Residential Advisor on 0439 875 748.

What is the process for arranging an after hours check-in?

Ensure you that you have notified us during business hours of your after hours arrival details so that we can prepare the after hours Residential Advisor, who will be on duty, to receive you.

Further Resident Information

Got questions about living at UniLodge JCU Halls of Residence George Roberts Hall? Find out everything you need to know about our student accommodation by checking out our most frequently asked questions. Whether you’re unsure about moving logistics, living costs, leases, or another aspect about of living in UniLodge student apartments, these questions include all the essential information you’ll need before moving in. If you have a question that you don't see answered, check in our blog or feel free to contact us directly.