Student Accommodation FAQ

UniLodge Royal Melbourne
Frequently Asked Questions

Got questions about living at UniLodge Royal Melbourne? Find out everything you need to know about our student accommodation by checking out our most frequently asked questions. Whether you’re unsure about moving logistics, living costs, leases, or another aspect about of living in UniLodge student apartments, these questions include all the essential information you’ll need before moving in. If you have a question that you don't see answered, check in our blog or feel free to contact us directly.

When do I pay my rent?

Rent is to be paid as per the Tenancy Agreement and must always be in advance for each month.

If I really want to move apartments/rooms after I move in – is that possible?

Whilst you have signed a Residential Tenancy Agreement on the particular apartment you are living in please contact Customer Service and we will see if this is an option available to move.

Can I move out at any time?

When considering the premature termination of your Residential Tenancy Agreement, please contact Customer Service team and note that it is your responsibility to:

  1. Continue to pay all the rent charges until a new resident can be secured or the RTA ends, whichever comes first.
  2. Pay all associated costs including applicable advertising and break lease charges as set out in your RTA.
  3. In all cases, a Departure cleaning fee applies.

How much is the Bond?

The bond is equivalent to your per calendar month’s rent and will be calculated as your Weekly rent multiplying it by 52 (no. of total weeks in a year) and divided by 12 (no. of months).

What is a Condition Report?

Upon arrival we must prepare a ‘Condition Report’, which records the property’s general condition, including fittings and fixtures, and an Electronic copy of the Entry Condition Report for your unit will be provided to you at the commencement of your Rental agreement. Review and if necessary, add your comments to the ‘Condition Report’. The completed Condition Report must be returned to the office within 5 days of you receiving the report. Failure to do so will result in the precondition report forming the basis for any bond claims at the end of your tenancy. For more information, check out this handy guide - Residents guide to Condition report

Paying the Bond?

You are required to pay the bond via the Novatti link we supply or via the bank transfer. We will then lodge a bond application with the RTBA for which you will then receive an email from RTBA to complete the bond submission. Check out this handy guide - Residents guide to Bonds

What happens when I vacate?

You need to leave your apartment clean and tidy in the same condition as when you arrived, ensure all the personal items have been removed and report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy. This allows for a speedy bond resolution.

I am vacating, can I use the Bond for my last month’s rent?

Your Bond and Rent are separate payments. You are required to pay rent in the specified way up to and including the date of your departure.

Do I need to pay a departure cleaning fee?

Your unit has been professionally cleaned and fitted with new mattress protectors for your arrival and as a requirement your lease you must leave your premises in the same condition as when you entered. To take some of the stress out of your exist process, UniLodge has been able to assist and recommend a cleaning company that delivers a service that we believe is of a very high standard which meets our expectations. You can either choose to proceed with the service we provide as a non-compulsory Departure cleaning fee of $250 or can get your preferred external cleaning services within your lease end date and provide us with a receipt of the professional cleaning services done.

How do I go about washing my clothes?

A laundry room with washing machines and dryers is located on the Ground floor of the residency, past the common area kitchens and theatrette.

Payment method: tap and go service for credit or debit cards.

What is the Residential Life Program?

The Resident Life Program is an integrated, contemporary, student life program, run by UniLodge for our residents. It is designed to support and bring out the best in each resident through the duties and activities carried out by Senior residents, Residential Advisors, the Residential Life Manager, the Customer service staff, and the General Manager.

Do I have my own kitchenette in my room?

Yes you do have your own kitchenette in a Studio Apartment, or a fully equipped kitchen in a 5 Bedroom Multi-share Apartment.

I have a car, so is there are any car parking?

There's no carparking in the building however limited street parking is available outside the building.

If my visa is not approved do I have to still pay?

If you were not successful in receiving a visa to study in Australia before the commencement of your lease start date, we ask that you write an email requesting cancellation, which must be submitted to the property at which your booking is held within 24 hours of you receiving notification from the Department of Home Affairs, along with the email from the Department of Home Affairs advising your refusal notice to study in Australia. You will then be formally advised that your lease agreement will then be cancelled without penalty.

For full terms and conditions please view here.

Where can I find resources to manage my health and wellbeing?

UniLodge has listed a number of resources on our Student Health and Wellbeing page.

What do I do if I, or my family need somewhere to stay prior to checking into UniLodge?

If you or your family need somewhere to stay for a couple of nights to a week, or rest your head after coming in from a late-night flight then why not book at Essence Hotel Carlton. Offering comfortable rooms that give you the freedom to relax in a place away from home.

What are your check-in times and days?

Monday to Sunday 8am to 6pm

Do you offer after hours check-in?

Yes, by appointment only.

What is the process for arranging an after hours check-in?

Ensure that you have notified us during business hours of your after hours arrival details so that we can prepare the after hours Residential Advisor who will be on duty. You will need to come down during business hours to do a formal check-in.

What do I need to buy before I can move in?

We offer Bedding and Kitchenware packs for purchase at YourShop.

Is there extra storage outside my apartment?

There is no additional storage outside of your room, if you have items that you wish to store you will need to contact a local storage service provider.

How do I receive my bond back?

Unilodge will start a bond claim which will be done within 10 business days after you leave the renter property. All residents are emailed a link to the claim details. Click through to accept or request changes to the claim and enter in your bank details for the bond refund. Once all tenants/residents have agreed, the RTBA will deposit the money into the nominated bank account(s) within two business days. If you are overseas and do not have an Australian bank account, the RTBA can issue a cheque that you can deposit into an overseas bank account with a service fee. If you have not provided valid bank account details in the bond claim, the RTBA will retain the bond until you provide a valid payment option.

Why are you claiming my bond?

The owner (via Unilodge) can try to recover all or part of the bond at the end of a tenancy if: the tenant or resident: (1) or their visitors have damaged the property. (2) has left and owes rent. (3) has abandoned the premises. (4) there are cleaning or repair expenses that exceed normal ‘wear and tear’. (5) items that were part of the tenancy agreement are missing.

How do I apply to stay at UniLodge Royal Melbourne?

To apply, please complete and submit the application form for 5 Bedroom Multi-share or Studio Apartment.

How do I pay my rent?

Rent is to be paid as per the Tenancy Agreement and must always be in advance. Payments can be made in the following way: 

  • Bank transfer into the UniLodge Bank Account.
  • Direct deposit at the bank into the nominated UniLodge Bank Account.
  • Credit card at the reception desk during business hours (3% surcharge applies).

What's my rent inclusion?

Electricity, gas, water consumption, along with unlimited Wi-Fi internet and membership to our Residential Life Program is included in your rent.

What if I want to cancel my lease agreement?

When considering the premature termination of your Residential Tenancy Agreement, it is your responsibility to:

  • Continue to pay all rent charges until a new resident can be secured or the Residential Tenancy Agreement ends, whichever comes first.
  • Pay all associated costs including applicable advertising and break lease fees as set out in your Residential Tenancy Agreement.
  • In all cases, a departure cleaning fee applies.

Can I cancel my confirmed booking prior to arrival?

The payment of the first month’s rental and other upfront charges is required in advance of your arrival and to secure the booking. This is on a non-refundable basis. Only in special circumstances (with appropriate support documentation) would a refund be considered, subject to the Residential Tenancies Act 1997. In such an instance a cancellation/administration fee equivalent to two weeks' rental plus GST will apply.

What is a Bond?

The Bond is sent to the Residential Tenancy Bond Authority (RTBA) – a government organization and held in trust for the term of the tenancy. The bond cannot be used for rent at any time. The cost of any repairs or excessive cleaning may be deducted from the bond upon departure.

What do I need when first check in to the property?

The items you will receive upon check in are:

  • A security swipe card
  • A copy of the Entry Condition Report for your unit
  • A copy of the Tenancy Agreement

A compulsory induction will be provided on the day of arrival.

Can I bring in additional furniture?

The installation of other furniture into a resident’s unit is not permitted unless a written application is submitted to, and approved by UniLodge management. Every request will be looked at separately depending on the size of the unit and furniture required.

What other services or items are available from reception?

  • Printing & photocopying (additional charges apply)
  • Vacuum Cleaner (free for the first hour)
  • Iron 
  • Trolley (free for the first hour)

Can I cook in the apartment?

Yes. To ensure the safety of yourself and other residents, you must cook in a responsible manner, using the rangehood exhaust fan at all times. The rangehood is located above your cooktop, make sure it is switched on (you will be able to hear a low sound) at all times – even when you don’t anticipate smoke (i.e. cooking sausages, chicken, even toast!). There is a switch for the stove hob and rangehood which will allow you turn on and off with a flick of a button.

Do I need to clean my room?

Yes. Cleaning and Inspections All Residents are responsible for the day to day cleaning of his or her unit. In addition to this, UniLodge units will also be inspected per the Residential Tenancy Act, after due notice is given, for cleanliness and damage.

Can I store my bicycle?

Bicycle racks are located in the security bike storage room. You are encouraged to use this secure bicycle storage, and not leave your bike outside your room. You are not permitted to leave your bike in your room, as it can cause damage to the wall that you will be liable for. All bikes must be registered with the reception and have a bike ID attached. 

Can I have a pet?

This building does not allow pets. Under no circumstances are you are permitted to bring any pets or animals into the building. This includes fish.

How will I receive delivery of my mail and parcels?

All mail and parcels are received by reception and can be collected during office hours (Grocery, meal deliveries or perishable items will not be accepted by UniLodge). Parcels are restricted in size to be no larger than 430 x 315 x 317 mm. Only parcels of 2kg or less will be accepted.

Who can provide support if I have personal problems?

Do not be afraid to confide in the appointed UniLodge staff to discuss any personal issues that are getting you down, they are here to support you and provide guidance, assistance and referral where necessary.

Further Resident Information

The Resident Handbook is designed to help you to get to know the building and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a resident. We hope that this Handbook will prove useful to you in answering any questions you have, and in assisting you with the most common concerns that you may have.