Student Accommodation FAQ

Student Living - 550 Lygon
Frequently Asked Questions

Got questions about living at Student Living - 550 Lygon? Find out everything you need to know about our student accommodation by checking out our most frequently asked questions. Whether you’re unsure about moving logistics, living costs, leases, or another aspect about of living in our student apartments, these questions include all the essential information you’ll need before moving in.

If you have a question that you don't see answered, feel free to contact us directly.

What do I do if I, or my family need somewhere to stay prior to checking into Student Living?

If you or your family need somewhere to stay for a couple of nights to a week, or rest your head after coming in from a late-night flight then why not book at Essence Hotel Carlton. Offering comfortable rooms that give you the freedom to relax in a place away from home.

Do you offer after hours check-in?

Unfortunately, we do not offer check-ins outside of specified check-in times.

Where do I check-in?

Check-in at 746 Swanston St Reception

What electricity cost am I responsible for?

Each resident pays for their energy as it is separately metered and will hold their own account with an energy company.

Do I need to organise my own Contents Insurance?

No, contents insurance is included in the bundle which costs $28 per person, per month. The cost of the bundle is included in the advertised weekly rate.

To view the Contents Insurance Product Disclosure Statement - Click Here.

How do I reserve a room at Student Living - 550 Lygon?

Complete the online application.  Once we have received your application, we will send you a rental offer. To accept this offer you will be required to pay the first month’s rental and for any additional service options that you choose. Before you move into Student Living - 550 Lygon, a bond equal to one month’s rental will be required

If you need any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

What kind of contracts does Student Living - 550 Lygon offer?

6 and 12 month leases, however from time to time we are able to offer shorter lease periods.

What does my rent include?

  • A fully furnished apartment
  • Contents insurance
  • Gas
  • Access to our Residential Life Program

Why is the rent not 4 times the weekly rental amount?

Rental is per calendar month. The weekly rate is multiplied by 52 weeks as there are 52 weeks in a year, and it is then divided by 12 months to get the monthly rate.

How do I pay my rent?

Rent is to be paid as per the Tenancy Agreement and must always be in advance.  Payments can be made in the following way:

  • Bank transfer into the UniLodge Bank Account
  • Direct deposit at the bank into the nominated Student Living Bank Account
  • Credit card at the admin office during business hours
  • BPAY
  • DEFT Payment

What is not included on my rent?

  • Water Usage
  • Electricity Consumption
  • Internet / WiFi

Do you have car parking facilities?

Carparking available starting from $20 per week.

How does my mail get to me?

You will need to direct your mail to:
<Your Name>
Room # XXX / 550 Lygon Street
Carlton, VIC, Australia, 3053

What do I need to buy before I can move in?

Your apartment is furnished with a bed, desk, cupboard, study chair, TV, fridge, and microwave oven. You will need to supply all your own linen & kitchen equipment.

How close is the nearest supermarket?

The nearest supermarket is called Foodworks and it is located around the corner, a minute’s walk away.

What do I do if I have a visitor?

As this is a secure building, all residents are required to meet their guests at the entrance door as this door is only accessible by a resident swipe card.

If I really want to move rooms after I move in – is that possible?

Once you have signed a lease for your room, you cannot change rooms until your lease expires or you break your lease.

Can I move out at any time?

When considering the premature termination of your Residential Tenancy Agreement, it is your responsibility to:

  • Continue to pay all rent charges until a new resident can be secured or the Residential Tenancy Agreement ends, whichever comes first.
  • Pay all associated costs including applicable advertising and break lease fees as set out in your Residential Tenancy Agreement.
  • In all cases, a departure cleaning fee applies.

Is there extra storage outside my apartment?

There are no extra storage facilities at the property.

How do I connect the internet/phone?

There is no phone in the room. For Internet, VostroNet can be contacted at any time if you are having issues with connection of your internet and have been through the troubleshooting guides.

Is wireless internet available?

Residents can connect WiFi to their apartment once moved in by liaising with Energy On as specified in your confirmation letter.

What is a Bond?

A bond is a payment that acts as a security deposit against the resident meeting the terms of their rental agreement or their duties under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997.

The bond will be lodged with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA). The RTBA will hold the bond in trust until the end of the lease. Then, the bond is:

  • Refunded entirely to the tenant/resident, or
  • Claimed in part or in full by the landlord/owner.

How much is the Bond?

The bond is equivalent to one month’s rent.

Paying the Bond?

You are required to pay the bond into the bank account we supply. We will then lodge a bond application with the RTBA. You will then receive an email from the RTBA to complete the bond submission.

Check out this handy guide – Resident guide to bonds

What is a Condition Report?

Upon arrival, we must prepare a ‘Condition Report’, which records the property’s general condition, including fittings and fixtures, and present you with 2 copies of this Report when you come to collect your keys.Review and, if necessary, add your comments to the ‘Condition Report’. You must return the report to UniLodge within three business days of moving in and you should keep a copy of the ‘Condition Report’ until the end of the tenancy.

The ‘Condition Report’ is a very important document, as it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items, particularly at the end of a tenancy. You may want to take photos of your apartment at the start of your tenancy to further show the condition.

The owner may claim some or the entire bond for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items at the end of your tenancy. If the ‘Condition Report’ stated that the work was required at the start of the tenancy, or the items were not listed, it can help you prove the bond should be returned to you.

Check out this handy guide - Resident guide condition reports

I am vacating, can I use the Bond for my last month’s rent?

Your bond and rent are separate payments. You are required to pay rent in the specified way up to and including the date of your departure.

What happens when I vacate?

You need to leave your apartment clean and tidy in the same condition as when you arrived, ensure all personal items have been removed and report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy. This allows for a speedy bond resolution. We offer prepaid service for departure cleaning to assist residents.

How do I receive my Bond back?

UniLodge will start a bond claim, which will be done within 10 business days after you leave the rented property. All residents are emailed a link to the claim details. Click through to accept or request changes to the claim and enter in your bank details for the bond refund. Once all tenants/residents have agreed, the RTBA will deposit the money into the nominated bank account(s) within two business days.

If you are overseas and do not have an Australian bank account, the RTBA can issue a cheque that you can deposit into an overseas bank account. If your overseas bank cannot deposit the cheque, an overseas bank transfer can be arranged for a fee. If you have not provided valid bank account details in the bond claim, the RTBA will retain the bond until you provide a valid payment option.

Why are you claiming my Bond?

The owner (via UniLodge), can try to recover all or part of the bond at the end of a tenancy if:

  • The tenant or resident:
    • or their visitors have damaged the property
    • has left and owes rent (rent in arrears)
    • has abandoned the premises
    • has left you to pay bills they should have paid
  • There are cleaning or repair expenses that exceed normal ‘wear and tear’.
  • Items that were part of the tenancy agreement are missing.

Where can I find resources to manage my health and wellbeing?

We have listed a number of resources on our Student Health and Wellbeing page.

Further Resident Information

The Resident Handbook is designed to help you to get to know the building and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a resident. We hope this Handbook will prove useful to you in answering any questions you have and assisting you with the most common concerns you may have.