Student Accommodation FAQ

Ilam Student Accommodation
Frequently Asked Questions

Got questions about living at Ilam Student Accommodation? Find out everything you need to know about our student accommodation by checking out our most frequently asked questions. Whether you’re unsure about moving logistics, living costs, leases, or another aspect about of living in UniLodge student apartments, these questions include all the essential information you’ll need before moving in. If you have a question that you don't see answered, feel free to contact us directly.

Where can I find more information about accommodation?

All our student accommodation located in Christchurch can be found here.

UniLodge Vision, Mission and Values

Please view our Vision, Mission and Values click here.

What is the distance to the University of Canterbury main campus?

It’s just a 5 minute walk to the main campus on Ilam Road and 10 minutes to the Engineering Block and their are Scooters in the area available if you are running late. 

What is the distance to the bus stop?

There are 2 bus stops either end of Homestead Lane (less than 500 metres).  

How long does it take to get to town?

Its a 20 minutes bike or bus ride, 5-6 km walk or $20-25 taxi ride.

Can two people live in ONE room?

No, all rooms are single.

Can you bring your own bed?

No - Beds are provided. 

Are pets allowed?

No sorry. 

Is smoking or vaping allowed?

No smoking is allowed on-site. UC is also a smoke free campus.

Is there a curfew?

No, but we do practice quiet hours during exam times.

Is my room secure?

Yes, you will be allocated an individual front door card, a private bedroom door key and your bedroom windows will have secure locks.

Is the property secure?

Yes, UC security patrols throughout the night. After hours the Community Safety team are also on site and can be contacted 24/7 hours - 0508 864 425.

Is insurance required for my personal belongings?

Yes, talk to your insurance provider for recommendations.

Is a television included?

Yes, all apartments have a TV.

Is there a fitness center?

The UC’s Recreation Centre is free for UC Students only and only a short walk away.

Are friends allowed to stay over?

Yes, be sure to get your flat-mates’ permission. You can have a guest stay for a maximum of 2 nights.

Is it co-ed?

Our apartments are mixed but you can request a single sex apartment if you would prefer.

What kind of heating will I have?

There are individual heaters in all rooms.

Is there air-conditioning?

No but with fully opening windows you won’t need it.

Does someone clean?

We have a great housekeeping team who clean all common spaces in your flat weekly. It’s up to each resident to keep their room clean and we provide vacuum cleaners.

Is there a café close by?

Yes! There are three on-campus plus a café onsite.  The local Bush Inn Centre with numerous food outlets and supermarkets is a short 10 minute walk.

Tell me about meals?

Ilam Apartments is self-catered but you are able to purchase meals/plans from our University Hall Dining Room.

When am I able to move in?

Arrival dates will be confirmed in your contract – early arrivals can be secured but are subject to availability.

Can I get my bond back if I am not accepted into University?

Yes, fees are refundable (excluding administration and ResLife fees) as long as you withdraw before the withdrawal date on your contract.

Is there a place to lock my bicycle?

Yes, covered bike storage is available. A deposit of $10 is required, which will be refunded following the return of the key.

How do I do my washing?

Washing machines and dryers are provided in Manuka and Kowhai blocks.  For Hinau apartments there is a large communal laundry.

What is included in the price?

Power, WiFi (UC students only), all our apartments are fully furnished and your bedroom will have a bed and desk.  The kitchen is fully equipped and includes pots and pans. The great thing about living here rather than private flats is you don’t have to worry about winter power bills or if a flat mate moves.

Do you have a car park?

Residents can pay an initial fee at the start of the year to claim a car park within Uni Hall. Car parks are limited/subject to availability therefore get in quick to secure your spot! Those who miss out can try park in various on-road spots, for specific hours, around the University.

Cann non-UC students apply for accommodation?

You can apply to live at Ilam Apartments if you are planning on studying at other tertiary education provider in Christchurch.

What are your check-in times and days?

Monday to Friday between 9am - 5pm.

Do you offer after hours check-in?

Yes, by prior arrangement - please call our after hours on-site staff on 0508 864 425 or send us an email.

What is the process for arranging an after hours check-in?

Please ensure that you have emailed us at least one business day before your arrival so that we can prepare in advance. Once you have arrived, please call the on-duty phone number advertised on the exterior door of the front entrance.

What is the property complaint process?

UniLodge aims to resolve resident complaints in a transparent and fair manner. With respect to our privacy policy UniLodge will disclose to the complainant any requested information or documentation required to fully address the complaint.

Our objective in providing a complaints process is to allow our residents to air their grievances in a constructive manner with a focus on reaching a mutually acceptable solution. Where a mutually acceptable solution cannot be reached, UniLodge may refer to the resident handbook or to your Occupancy Agreement in response to your grievance.

UniLodge aims to reach resolution of the complaint in a reasonable time frame, with a focus on minimising any ongoing impact to the resident engaging in the complaints process.

  • Step 1: Contact a member of the UniLodge team. Explain your grievance and your desired outcome.
    • Staff will respond to your complaint within five business days and may request to meet with the complainant as part of reaching a solution.
    • (Not resolved?)
  • Step 2: Contact the General Manager Portfolio via email and submit the details of your complaint in writing. The General Manager Portfolio will request a meeting to discuss the matter further.
    • (Not resolved?)
    • It is important to remember that you have signed an Occupancy Agreement. An Occupancy Agreement differs from a Tenancy Agreement quite significantly.
  • Step 3: Should you be unhappy with the outcome from your complaint you can escalate it to the UCSA, or the University Grievance Coordinator to discuss your concerns and your options (phone number 03 369 0292).
  • Step 4: Should your concerns not be resolved by these internal grievance procedures; you can then pursue an external complaint through Mana Tohu Mātauranga o Aotearoa | NZQA. You can submit your complaint query on the NZQA website or send an email to If you need more information, contact NZQA on 0800 697 296.

Further Resident Information

The Resident Handbook is designed to help you to get to know the building and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a resident. We hope that this Handbook will prove useful to you in answering any questions you have, and in assisting you with the most common concerns that you may have.