Student Accommodation FAQ

UniLodge at Curtin University - Vickery House
Frequently Asked Questions

Got questions about living at UniLodge Curtin University Vickery House? Find out everything you need to know about our student accommodation by checking out our most frequently asked questions. Whether you’re unsure about moving logistics, living costs, leases, or another aspect about of living in UniLodge student apartments, these questions include all the essential information you’ll need before moving in.

If you have a question that you don't see answered, check in our blog or feel free to contact us directly.

Is Internet / WiFi included in my rent?

If you are a Curtin student, you will have access to Eduroam. If you are not a Curtin student, we have a selection of an internet package available to discuss in further detail with reception.  

Do you have Bicycle Storage?

Yes, the bike storage is FREE and bicycles must be stored in the storage area provided. Residents are restricted to storing one (1) bicycle per person.

Do I need to pay a Security Deposit?

If you are a Curtin student, we do not charge you a security deposit or bond. If you are a non-Curtin student, you will be required to pay a security deposit equivalent to 4 weeks’ rent.

What are your check-in times and days?

Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

Do you offer after hours check-in?

Contact our after hours on duty Residential Advisor on 0455 935 238.

What is the process for arranging an after hours check-in?

Ensure you that you have notified us during business hours of your after hours arrival details so that we can prepare the after hours Residential Advisor who will be on duty.

How do I reserve a room?

Choose between an Annual or Semester contract and room type via our application portal. 

Once we have received your application, we will contact you within 48 business hours by email to offer you an available apartment/room.

What additional fees need to be paid once a room is booked?

The following fees are payable on acceptance of Accommodation Agreement:-

  • Administration fee: $140.00 for each booking.
  • Facility fee: $153.00 per person for annual contracts.
  • Activity fee: $252.00 per person for annual contracts.
  • Departure cleaning fee: $150 per room, payable upfront.

All fees are correct as at 02.01.2024.

What happens if I need to cancel my booking before my contract start date?

If you need to cancel your booking you can do so by emailing us before you Contract Start. The Administration Fee and a one-week cancellation fee will apply. The remaining balance of any payments will be refunded to you. Cancellations on or after the start of your contract will be considered an early termination. This process for early terminations is outlined in the Accommodation Agreement in further detail.

Can I change the agreement dates?

The agreement dates are set and approved by Curtin University, we are unable to amend the dates. You may arrive earlier if we have the availability for your preferred room types.

What kind of contracts does the property offer?

When you make your application, you can choose from a Semester Contract (24 weeks) or Annual Contract (48 weeks).

Do you have car parking facilities?

Curtin University operates a number of car parks located in and around the student accommodation, please see the Curtin University website for details.  A limited number of dedicated resident parking spaces are available at each of the accommodation locations at no cost to residents.  Permits for these spaces are allocated at the discretion of UniLodge.

What do I need before I move in?

All rooms are furnished with a bed, study desk and chair, lamp and wardrobe. A multi-share apartment has a full-size kitchen with fridge, oven, stove and microwave. In the common area there is a couch, dining table and chairs and T.V; there is a bathroom shared between 2-3 people.. A studio apartment will contain a kitchenette with microwave, stove- top and fridge plus an ensuite bathroom.  You can purchase an All-In-One Essential pack available online via our convenient UniLodge online shop, Your Shop.

What do I do if I have a visitor?

You can have guests visit you at UniLodge. As this is a secure student accommodation building, all residents are required to meet their guests at the entrance door as this is only accessible by a resident swipe card/key. If your guest is staying after 10pm, this is classified as an overnight guest and you will be required to fill out an application at reception.

What do I do if I want to change rooms after I move in?

Once you have signed a contract for your room, there is a $100 room move administration fee plus a departure clean fee should you decide to move to a different room within on-campus housing. Room moves are subject to availability.

Can I move out at any time?

When you move into your apartment, you sign a Residential Agreement. This is a legally binding document that means you have committed to paying rent from the start date on your contract until the end date of your contract. However, if you have no choice but to move out, you can break your lease if your enrolment status has changed, or, you have exceptional extenuating circumstances. Please refer to the Resident Handbook for more information on this process. 

What is a Condition Report?

We must prepare a ‘Condition Report’, which records the property’s general condition, including fittings and fixtures, and present you with a paper copies of this Report when you come to collect your keys. Review and, if necessary, add your comments to the ‘Condition Report’. You must return the report to UniLodge within two business days of moving in and you should keep a copy of the ‘Condition Report’ until the end of the tenancy. The ‘Condition Report’ is a very important document, as it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items, particularly at the end of a tenancy. You may want to take photos of your apartment at the start of your tenancy to further show the condition. You may be liable for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items at the end of your tenancy if it is not recorded on the condition report.

What happens when I vacate my room?

You need to leave your apartment clean and tidy, and ensure all personal items have been removed, report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy.

What is included in the Activity Fee?

The Activity Fee of $112 per semester covers all your weekly activities through our Residential Life Program. Residential Life is an integrated, contemporary, residential life program, run by UniLodge for our Residents. Itis designed to support and bring out the best in each Resident through the duties and activities carried out by Residential Advisors, the Residential Life Manager, the Customer Service Staff, and the Area General Manager. We host many different events each month.

Where can I find resources to manage my health and wellbeing?

UniLodge has listed a number of resources on our Student Health and Wellbeing page.

Can I request to live with friends?

You can insert your friends' name in the “special request” section of the application. Please ensure all of your friends also include your names in their application.

Are there scholarships available?

Curtin has a range of Scholarships available for academic year and semester study options.

What happens if the room I want is not available?

If your preferred room type is not available, we will be in touch with you and offer a room that is closest to your original preference.

Can I request to live with people who identify as the same gender as I do?

You can request to live with others who identify as the same gender as you. Please ensure you have selected “No” under ‘Are you okay to share in a mixed gender room?’ in your application.

We try to accommodate all preferences, but we cannot guarantee them.

Further Resident Information

The Resident Handbook is designed to help you to get to know the building and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a resident. We hope this Handbook will prove useful to you in answering any questions you have and assisting you with the most common concerns you may have.