Student Accommodation FAQ

Student Living on Cobden
Frequently Asked Questions

Got questions about living at Student Living on Cobden? Find out everything you need to know about our student accommodation by checking out our most frequently asked questions. Whether you’re unsure about moving logistics, living costs, leases, or another aspect about of living in our student apartments, these questions include all the essential information you’ll need before moving in. If you have a question that you don't see answered, feel free to contact us directly.

What electricity cost am I responsible for?

Each resident pays for their energy as it is separately metered and will hold their own account with an energy company. UniLodge recommends Sumo as an electricity provider.

How do I reserve a room at on Student Living on Cobden?

  • Complete the online application.
  • Once we have received your application, we will contact you within 72 hours by email to confirm the details of the lease agreement.
  • If you agree with the terms of the lease agreement you will be required to pay a fee which includes first month’s rental and Bond.

What kind of contracts does Student Living on Cobden offer?

12 months lease. Short term leases may also be available.

What does my rent include?

Water and electricity usage and connection is an additional charge to your rent.

Why is the rent not 4 times the weekly rental amount?

Rental is per calendar month. The weekly rate is multiplied by 52 weeks as there are 52 weeks in a year, and it is then divided by 12 months to get the monthly rate.

When do I pay my rent?

Your rent is due on the 1st day every month.

Do you have car parking facilities?

Unfortunately, there is no car park available at the property.

How does my mail get to me?

You will need to direct your mail to:
Your Name
Room # / 2 Cobden Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051 Australia

What do I need to buy before I can move in?

Your apartment is furnished with a bed, desk, cupboard, study chair, TV, fridge, and convection microwave oven. You will need to supply all of your own linen & kitchen equipment – available online via our convenient shop, Your Shop.

How close is the nearest supermarket?

The nearest major supermarket is Coles and it is located 1km away at Melbourne Central. Queen Victoria Market is located across the road and a wide array of fresh and cheap produce is available.

What do I do if I have a visitor?

 As this is a secure building, all residents are required to meet their guests at the entrance door as this door is only accessible by a resident swipe card.

If I really want to move rooms after I move in – is that possible?

Once you have signed a lease for your room, you cannot change rooms until your lease expires or you break your lease.

Can I move out at any time?

When you move into your apartment, you sign a lease. This is a legally binding document that means you have committed to paying rent from the start date on your contract until the end date of your contract. If you move out, you still have to pay rent until your contract expires. However, if you have no choice but to move out, you can break your lease. This means that you need to pay a lease break fee and the rent until someone else takes over your contract. The lease break fee is outlined in the Residential Tenancy Agreement.

Is there extra storage outside my apartment?

There are no extra storage facilities at the property.

How do I connect the internet/phone?

Upon arrival you will be provided with internet information. If you choose to use Spirit Telecom, you can plug your computer into the data port located in your room and connect to their website instantly. Select your package and payment option. Now you should be able to browse and use the internet as you would normally. You are able to connect the phone at the same time.

How do I disconnect the internet/phone?

Please contact Spirit Telecom before your move out and inform them that you wish to terminate their services.

Is wireless internet available?

You can order a wireless router from Spirit Telecom to access wireless internet.

What is a Bond?

A Bond is an amount of money that you need to pay that can be used by the apartment owner if you do not meet the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement. Examples of this include: If you fail to keep the property clean, cause damage or are in rent arrears, the owner of the property may claim some or the entire Bond only when the tenancy ends.  .

How much is the Bond?

Bond is payable, equivalent to 4 weeks’ rent, except where rent is $350 per week or more, the bond will be equivalent to 6 weeks’ rent, and is payable to the State Government Authority. In Melbourne the authority is the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority.

Paying the Bond?

You have to pay the bond along with your first month’s rent before your move into the apartment.

What is a Condition Report?

When you pay a Bond, we must prepare a ‘Condition Report’, which records the property’s general condition, including fittings and fixtures, and present you with 2 paper copies of this Report when you come to collect your keys.

Review and, if necessary, add your comments to the ‘Condition Report’. You must return the report to UniLodge within three business days of moving in and you should keep a copy of the ‘Condition Report’ until the end of the tenancy.

The ‘Condition Report’ is a very important document, as it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items, particularly at the end of a tenancy.

You may want to take photos of your apartment at the start of your tenancy to further show the condition.

The owner may claim some or all of the Bond for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items at the end of your tenancy. If the ‘Condition Report’ stated that the work was required at the start of the tenancy, or the items were not listed, it can help you prove the bond should be returned to you.

I am vacating, can I use the Bond for my last month’s rent?

No, your Bond and rent are separate payments.

What happens when I vacate?

You need to leave your apartment clean and tidy, and ensure all personal items have been removed, report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy. This allows for a speedy Bond resolution.

How do I receive my Bond back?

A23: At the end of the tenancy we will provide you a Bond Claim Form for completion. Please ensure you sign the form with the same signature as you used on the “Bond Lodgement” form at the start of your tenancy. The RTBA will match signatures and will only process your claim if they match. We will lodge the bond claim form once we have the owner and your signed agreement, it then takes another 2-3 business days for the RTBA to process, it repays the bond directly into the nominated bank account on the form, If you have not provided valid bank account details, but have provided a forwarding address, the RTBA will send a cheque. If the RTBA is unable to do either of the above they will retain your money, you will need to contact them via phone on 1300 137 164 to organize for your refund to be released to you.

Why are you claiming my Bond?

The Owner is entitled to compensation if you have failed any terms or conditions in your tenancy agreement or breached the Residential Tenancies Act (Victorian State Government Law covering rental issues).  Please note that the owner cannot claim for wear and tear of items or fittings in the apartment. At UniLodge the vast majority of these sorts of issues are resolved by agreement between the owner and the tenant. If there is no agreement then the Owner may decide to ask the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) to hold a hearing to finally decide on the issue. Please note if the matter goes to VCAT than the resolution of the bond will exceed the time frame mentioned above as we must wait for a hearing date from VCAT.

Where can I find resources to manage my health and wellbeing?

We have listed a number of resources on our Student Health and Wellbeing page.

What do I do if I, or my family need somewhere to stay prior to checking into Student Living on Cobden?

If you or your family need somewhere to stay for a couple of nights to a week, or rest your head after coming in from a late-night flight then why not book at Essence Hotel Carlton. Offering comfortable rooms that give you the freedom to relax in a place away from home.

What are your check in times and days?

Monday to Friday 9:30am - 4:30pm.  Check-in is at Student Living - 800 Swanston Reception.

Do you offer after hours check-in?

Unfortunately, we do not offer check-ins outside of specified check-in times.

Further Resident Information

The Resident Handbook is designed to help you to get to know the building and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a resident. We hope that this Handbook will prove useful to you in answering any questions you have, and in assisting you with the most common concerns that you may have.