Have a question about living at UniLodge Carlton? Find out everything you need to know about our student accommodation by checking out our most frequently asked questions. If you have a question that you don't see answered, feel free to contact us directly.

How do I reserve a room?

Complete the online application.  Once we have received your application, we will send you a rental offer. To accept this offer you will be required to pay the first month’s rental and for any additional service options that you choose. Before you move into UniLodge Carlton, a bond equal to one month’s rental will be required

If you need any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

What kind of contracts does UniLodge Carlton offer?

6 and 12 month leases, however from time to time we are able to offer shorter lease periods.

What does my rent include?

A fully furnished room, all utilities are included, access to unlimited wifi internet use of our common facilities.

Do you have car parking facilities?

Limited car spaces are available for long term rental.

When do I pay my rent?

Rent is due every month in advance. To pay rent you can do a bank transfer. Alternatively, payment can be made at the reception desk by Credit Card or Cash. Any payments made with most cards will incur a 2% merchant fee (Amex is 3%).

How does my mail get to me?

We have letterboxes behind the reception desk and accept letters and parcels on your behalf. Reception will contact you when we have a parcel for you to pick up, otherwise feel free to call pass reception and check your letterbox for any mail for you during office hours. Please note there is a restriction on the type and size of parcels we can accept.

What do I need to buy before I can move in?

We offer Bedding & kitchenware packs for purchase at Your Shop.

How close is the nearest supermarket?

Major supermarkets are located 3 tram stops away from the building or around a 400 meter walk.

If I really want to move rooms/rooms after I move in – is that possible?

Whilst you have signed a Residential Tenancy Agreement on the particular room you are living in please contact us and we will see if this is an option available to move.

Can I move out at any time?

When considering the premature termination of your Residential Tenancy Agreement, it is your responsibility to:

  • Continue to pay all rent charges until a new resident can be secured or the Residential Tenancy Agreement ends, whichever comes first.
  • Pay all associated costs including applicable advertising and break lease fees as set out in your Residential Tenancy Agreement.
  • In all cases, a departure cleaning fee applies.

Is there extra storage outside my room?

Beds are designed a little higher so you can put luggage under them however there is no additional storage outside of your room, if you have items that you wish to store you will need to contact a local storage service provider.

How do I connect the internet/phone?

There is no phone in the room. For Internet, the provider can be contacted at anytime if you are having issues with the connection of your internet and have been through the troubleshooting guides.

Is wireless internet available?

Yes we have unlimited WIFI at this property and wireless internet through the building.

What is a Bond?

A bond is a payment that acts as security against the resident meeting the terms of their rental agreement or their duties under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997. 

The bond must be lodged with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA). The RTBA will hold the bond in trust until the end of the lease. Then, the bond is: 

  • refunded entirely to the tenant/resident, or 
  • claimed in part or in full by the landlord/owner. 

How much is the Bond?

The bond is equivalent to one month’s rental.

Paying the Bond?

You are required to pay the bond into the bank account we supply. We will then lodge a bond application with the RTBA. You will then receive an email from the RTBA to complete the bond submission. Check out this handy guide - Resident guide to bonds.

What is a Condition Report?

Upon arrival we must prepare a ‘Condition Report’, which records the property’s general condition, including fittings and fixtures, and present you with 2 copies of this Report when you come to collect your keys.

Review and, if necessary, add your comments to the ‘Condition Report’. You must return the report to UniLodge within three business days of moving in and you should keep a copy of the ‘Condition Report’ until the end of the tenancy.

The ‘Condition Report’ is a very important document, as it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items, particularly at the end of a tenancy.

You may want to take photos of your room at the start of your tenancy to further show the condition.

The owner may claim some or the entire bond for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items at the end of your tenancy. If the ‘Condition Report’ stated that the work was required at the start of the tenancy, or the items were not listed, it can help you prove the bond should be returned to you.

Check out this handy guide - Resident guide condition reports.


I am vacating, can I use the Bond for my last month’s rent?

Your bond and rent are separate payments. You are required to pay rent in the specified way up to and including the date of your departure.

What happens when I vacate?

You need to leave your room clean and tidy in the same condition as when you arrived, ensure all personal items have been removed and report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy. This allows for a speedy bond resolution. UniLodge offer a prepaid service for departure cleaning to assist residents.

How do I receive my Bond back?

UniLodge will start a bond claim, which will be done within 10 business days after you leave the rented property.

All residents are emailed a link to the claim details. Click through to accept or request changes to the claim and enter in your bank details for the bond refund. Once all tenants/residents have agreed, the RTBA will deposit the money into the nominated bank account(s) within two business days.

If you are overseas and do not have an Australian bank account, the RTBA can issue a cheque that you can deposit into an overseas bank account. If your overseas bank cannot deposit the cheque, an overseas bank transfer can be arranged for a fee. If you have not provided valid bank account details in the bond claim, the RTBA will retain the bond until you provide a valid payment option.

Why are you claiming my Bond?

The owner (via UniLodge), can try to recover all or part of the bond at the end of a tenancy if the tenant or resident:

    • or their visitors have damaged the property
    • has left and owes rent (rent in arrears)
    • has abandoned the premises 
    • has left you to pay bills they should have paid 
  • there are cleaning or repair expenses that exceed normal ‘wear and tear’
  • items that were part of the tenancy agreement are missing.

Is there Content Insurance included?

Landlord’s insurance does not provide cover for the tenant’s possessions. It is strongly recommended you take out contents insurance to adequately cover your possessions.

What do I do if I, or my family need somewhere to stay prior to checking into UniLodge?

If you or your family need somewhere to stay for a couple of nights to a week, or rest your head after coming in from a late-night flight then why not book at Essence Hotel Carlton. Offering comfortable rooms that give you the freedom to relax in a place away from home. As a UniLodge resident, your family can stay at Essence Hotel Carlton at a discounted rate, contact the hotel for details.

When can I check-in?

Reception operates 24/7 with check-ins from 2pm.

Can I have a guest stay overnight?

You need to submit a guest-stay request, including the guest's name, contact details, and a valid photo ID. Depending on the length of the temporary stay, there may be an additional charge of $50.00 per week for the guest.

Further Resident Information

The Resident Handbook is designed to help you to get to know the building and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a resident. We hope that this Handbook will prove useful to you in answering any questions you have, and in assisting you with the most common concerns that you may have.