Student Accommodation FAQ

University Hall
Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find more information about UC's Halls of Residence

The accommodation guide can be found here.

UniLodge's Vision, Mission and Values

Please view our Vision, Mission and Values click here.

What is the distance to the University of Canterbury main campus?

It’s just a 5 minute walk to the main campus on Ilam Road and 10 minutes to the Engineering Block.

What is the distance to the bus stop?

There are 2 bus stops just outside the Uni Hall entrances.

What kind of nightlife can I expect?

There are heaps of events on site and these are posted on our Facebook page  It is also a short stroll to Bush Inn Shopping Centre and Riccarton where there are plenty of bars, eateries and shopping malls.

How long does it take to get to town?

15 minutes’ bike or bus ride, 5-6 km walk or $20-25 cab ride.

Can two people live in ONE room?

No, all rooms are single.

Can you bring your own bed?

No - beds are provided.

How many rooms are there at Uni Hall?

Uni Hall can accommodate 552 students.

Are pets allowed?

No - sorry.

Is smoking or vaping allowed?

No smoking is allowed on-site. UC is also a smoke free campus.

Is there a curfew?

No, but we do practice quiet hours. (Sunday-Wednesday from 10pm, Thursday-Saturday from 12am and extended hours during exam times).

Is my room secure?

Yes, you will be allocated an individual front door card, a private bedroom door key and your bedroom windows will have secure locks.

Is the property secure?

Yes, UC security patrols throughout the night. We also have Evening Duty Managers who work in the evening. There are also RA’s at Uni Hall and Duty Managers who will pick up emergency calls. Support is always available 24/7 and throughout holidays.

Is insurance required for my personal belongings?

Yes, talk to your insurance provider for recommendations.

Is a television included?

Uni Hall has two Sky TV lounges available and there are TV’s in smaller common rooms around the campus.

Are friends allowed to stay over?

Yes, but restrictions apply, be sure to let the team know if you want  have a guest stay over as there is a sign in process.

Is it co-ed?

Our halls are mixed but you can request a single sex floor/flat if you would prefer, and we will do our best to accommodate your request.

Do I need to bring appliances?

No. Uni Hall is fully catered so you won’t need any kitchen equipment. You will also have access to washers, dryers & vacuums.

What kind of heating will I have?

There are individual radiators in all rooms.

Is there air-conditioning?

No but with opening windows you won’t need it.

Does someone clean?

We have a great housekeeping team who clean all common spaces regularly. It’s up to each resident to keep their room clean and we provide vacuum cleaners.  We do undertake room inspections twice each year.

Is there a café close by?

Yes! There are a number of cafes on-campus and a row of eateries just a short walk from Uni Hall.

Tell me about meals?

Uni Hall is fully catered and if you’re late home you can organise a late dinner. We also offer packed lunches so you can take your lunch with you if you won’t be back during the day. We cater for many dietary requirements (vegetarian, gluten free etc), just let our team know so we can make sure we have the right food available to you. If you have a severe or life-threatening allergy, give our catering team a call prior to making your application.

What are upfront costs?

$400 Contingency Fee, $300 Admin Fee, $300 Resident’s Association Fee (which pays for all the social events and academic programs UCA run for its residents).

What are the payment options?

Credit card, bank transfer, EFTPOS, bank cheque, cheque.  Payments can be made quarterly or per semester.

Do I get a car park? How much is it?

There are a limited number of parks on-site.  These can be purchased when making your application for accommodation.

When am I able to move in?

Arrival dates will be confirmed in your contract –early arrivals can be secured but are subject to availability.

How do I apply?

Apply online through the UC website.   This website also provides information on what you can do if your application is unsuccessful.

Can I get my bond back if I am not accepted into University?

Yes, fees are refundable (excluding administration fees) as long as you withdraw before the withdrawal date on your contract.

How do I request a particular building or a particular room?

You apply for either Ritz or Retro when you make your application. You can make a request for a particular room, and/or the people you live next to, and the building you’d prefer once your application has been approved. We will do our best to meet your requirements.

Is it noisy?

You will experience normal day to day noises and activity; we ask that people are respectful of their neighbors.

Is there a place to lock my bicycle?

Yes, covered bike storage is available.

How do I do my washing?

There is a large laundry at Uni Hall ($2 per wash and $2 per dry – debit/credit card required).

What is included in the price?

Power, WiFi (for UC students), furniture (bed, desk, chair, wardrobe) and food.

What are your check-in times and days?

Monday to Friday between 9am - 5pm.

Do you offer after hours check-in?

Yes, by prior arrangement - please call our after hours on-site staff on 0508 864 425 or send us an email.

What is the process for arranging an after hours check-in?

Please ensure that you have emailed us at least one business day before your arrival so that we can prepare in advance. Once you have arrived, please call the on-duty phone number advertised on the exterior door of the front entrance.

What is the property complaint process?

UniLodge aims to resolve resident complaints in a transparent and fair manner. With respect to our privacy policy UniLodge will disclose to the complainant any requested information or documentation required to fully address the complaint.

Our objective in providing a complaints process is to allow our residents to air their grievances in a constructive manner with a focus on reaching a mutually acceptable solution. Where a mutually acceptable solution cannot be reached, UniLodge may refer to the resident handbook or to your Occupancy Agreement in response to your grievance.

UniLodge aims to reach resolution of the complaint in a reasonable time frame, with a focus on minimising any ongoing impact to the resident engaging in the complaints process.

  • Step 1: Contact a member of the UniLodge team. Explain your grievance and your desired outcome.
    • Staff will respond to your complaint within five business days and may request to meet with the complainant as part of reaching a solution.
    • (Not resolved?)
  • Step 2: Contact the General Manager Portfolio via email and submit the details of your complaint in writing. The General Manager Portfolio will request a meeting to discuss the matter further.
    • (Not resolved?)
    • It is important to remember that you have signed an Occupancy Agreement. An Occupancy Agreement differs from a Tenancy Agreement quite significantly.
  • Step 3: Should you be unhappy with the outcome from your complaint you can escalate it to the UCSA, or the University Grievance Coordinator to discuss your concerns and your options (phone number 03 369 0292).
  • Step 4: Should your concerns not be resolved by these internal grievance procedures; you can then pursue an external complaint through Mana Tohu Mātauranga o Aotearoa | NZQA. You can submit your complaint query on the NZQA website or send an email to If you need more information, contact NZQA on 0800 697 296.