Student Accommodation FAQ

Student Living - Gailey
Frequently Asked Questions

Got questions about living at Student Living - Gailey? Find out everything you need to know about our student accommodation by checking out our most frequently asked questions. Whether you’re unsure about moving logistics, living costs, leases, or another aspect about of living in UniLodge student apartments, these questions include all the essential information you’ll need before moving in. If you have a question that you don't see answered, check in our blog or feel free to contact us directly.

How do I reserve a room at Student Living Gailey?

Complete the online application.

What kind of contracts does Student Living Gailey offer?

6 and 12 month leases

What does my rent include?

Water, gas, electricity, and Community Spirit Program membership

Do you have car parking facilities?

Yes, UniLodge on Gailey does have car parking facilities, pending on availability. Car parking costs are included in your rent.

How do I pay my rent?

In 4 weekly installments to our account details.

How does my mail get to me?

Via your letterbox located at the front of the building.

What do I need to buy before I can move in?

Bedding, kitchenware – these are available from Your Shop.

How close is the nearest supermarket?


If I really want to move rooms after I move in – is that possible?

Yes, depending on availability – break lease fees will apply.

Can I move out at any time?

If you leave before the end of your lease, break lease fees will apply.

Is there extra storage outside my apartment?

No there is not. If you have items you wish to store, you will need to contact a local storage service provider.

How do I connect the internet/phone?

Your internet and phone will already be connected for you when you move in.

Is wireless internet available?

No, it is not.

What is a Bond?

A bond (also known as a ‘security deposit’) is an amount of money you need to pay, which can be used by the apartment owner if you do not meet the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement. Examples of this include failure to keep the property clean, cause damage or are in rent arrears. If any of these scenarios occur, the owner of the property may claim some or all of the bond when your tenancy ends. The majority of bonds are refunded in full, as most UniLodgers vacate with no issues. Bonds are lodged with the RTA (Residential Tenancies Authority) until the end of your lease.

How much is the Bond?

If your rent is $700 a week or less on a General Tenancy Agreement (or $500 a week on a Rooming Accommodation Agreement), the bond cannot be more than 4 week’s rent. The Owner cannot increase the bond during your tenancy. If your rent is more than these amounts, then the Apartment owner may request a higher Bond amount. The amount you will need to pay for your bond is listed on the prices page and will be confirmed again with you prior to your arrival.

Paying the Bond?

All rental bonds for properties in Queensland are lodged with the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) a state government body. Payment must be made payable to the RTA (not UniLodge). We ask that you provide us with a bank cheque (a bank cheque is a cheque issued by the bank under their name; you can purchase one of these from any Australian Bank). Alternatively, a money order (Available from Australia post) is acceptable.

Remember the cheque/Money Order must be made payable to the ‘Residential Tenancies Authority’. Bring the bond cheque/money order with you when you are collecting your keys. At this meeting, you will complete and sign the official “Bond Lodgement Form”. We will forward this to the RTA and then the RTA will send a receipt to you direct.

Contact the RTA on 1300 366 311 if you have not received a receipt 15 business days after paying your bond. We understand that it may not always be possible to arrange a bank cheque or money order prior to arrival and in these instances we recommend you take advantage of the RTA’s online bond lodgement option and bring a copy of this with you when you arrive.

What is an Entry Condition Report?

When you pay a bond, we must prepare an ‘Entry Condition Report’, which records the property’s general condition, including fittings and fixtures, and provide you with 2 paper copies of this Report when you come collect your keys.

Review, and if necessary, add your comments to the ‘Entry Condition Report’. You must return the report to UniLodge within three business days of moving in and you should keep a copy of the ‘Entry Condition Report’ until the end of the tenancy.

The ‘Entry Condition Report’ is a very important document, as it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items, particularly at the end of a tenancy.

You may want to take photos of your apartment at the start of your tenancy to further show the condition. The owner may claim some or the entire bond for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items at the end of your tenancy. If the ‘Entry Condition Report’ stated that the work was required at the start of the tenancy, or the items were not listed, it can help you prove the bond should be returned to you.

I am vacating, can I use the Bond for my last months rent?

Your bond and rent are separate payments. You are required to pay rent in the specified way, up to and including the date of your departure.

What happens when I vacate?

You need to leave your apartment clean and tidy, in the same condition as when you arrived, and ensure all personal items have been removed and report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy. This allows for a speedy bond resolution.

How do I receive my Bond back?

At the end of the tenancy we will give you a “Bond Claim” form for completion (or you can download your own copy from the RTA website). Please ensure you sign the form with the same signature as you used on the “Bond Lodgement” form at the start of your tenancy. The RTA will match signatures and will only process your claim if they match. We will lodge the bond claim form once we have the owner’s agreement. It then takes another 2-3 business days for the RTA to process the form. It will then deposit the bond directly into your nominated bank account. If you have not provided valid bank account details, but have provided a forwarding address, the RTA will send a cheque. If the RTA is unable to do either of the above they will retain your money. You will then need to contact them via phone on 1300 366 311 to organise for your refund to be released to you.

Why are you claiming my Bond?

The Owner is entitled to compensation if you have failed any terms or conditions in your tenancy agreement or breached the Residential Tenancies Act (Queensland State Government Law covering rental issues). Please note that the owner cannot claim for wear and tear of items or fittings in the apartment. At UniLodge the vast majority of these sorts of issues are resolved by agreement between the owner and the tenant. If there is no agreement, the Owner may decide to ask the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) to hold a hearing to finally decide on the issue. Please note if the matter goes to QCAT, then the resolution of the bond will exceed the timeframe mentioned above, as we must wait for a hearing date from QCAT.

What do I do if I, or my family need somewhere to stay prior to checking in?

If you or your family need somewhere to stay for a couple of nights to a week, or rest your head after coming in from a late-night flight then why not book at Essence Suites Taringa. Offering fully furnished suites that give you the freedom to relax in a place away from home.

Where can I find resources to manage my health and wellbeing?

UniLodge has listed a number of resources on our Student Health and Wellbeing page.

What are your check-in times and days?

Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm.

Do you offer after hours check-in?

Yes - please call our after hours on-site staff.

What is the process for arranging an after hours check-in?

Yes - please call our on-site staff on 3726 1700, they will have you complete some paperwork, coordinate with RA to provide you with your key and show you to your room.

Further Resident Information

The Resident Handbook is designed to help you to get to know the building and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a resident. We hope that this Handbook will prove useful to you in answering any questions you have, and in assisting you with the most common concerns that you may have.