Student Accommodation FAQ

La Trobe University Regional Housing – Shepparton
Frequently Asked Questions

Have more questions about living at our La Trobe residences? Find out everything you need to know about our accommodation by checking out our most frequently asked questions. Whether you want to know more on moving, living costs, leases, or anything in between, these questions will cover all you’ll need to know before making your move. If you have a question still unanswered, you can contract us directly. 

Who can apply to stay at a Living at La Trobe property?

Eligibility criteria: All Students aged 18 and over, who are enrolled in a La Trobe University (or La Trobe College Australia, RMIT University or Wodonga Institute of TAFE) course of study are eligible to apply to live at Living at La Trobe.

Paying the Bond?

You are required to pay the bond deposit when accepting your letter of offer. Need more information? Contact our team!

If I wanted to break my lease, what are the costs associated with this?

If you wish to terminate your lease early, you will be responsible for the paying the early termination fee equivalent to four weeks rent and have my bond forfeited.

How do I reserve a room?

Complete an online application through our Living at La Trobe Portal: To accept this offer, you will be required to pay the current bond deposit as per the Rules of Residence. Need more information? You can contact our team to help out! 

What kind of contracts does Living at La Trobe offer?

22-week and 44-week contracts are available, commencing in February and July. If you are unsure with your study dates, you can contact our team for further information. 

What does my rent include?

A fully furnished apartment, all utilities are included, access to unlimited internet and WIFI, and use of our common room facilities.

Do you have car parking facilities?

There is no dedicated carparking onsite for residents. All car parking spaces at La Trobe University Bundoora (Melbourne) Campus require a valid car parking permit Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm. Outside of these hours, parking is free.

When do I pay my rent?

Rent is charged per fortnight – you will receive a charge on the first business day of each fortnight. If you would prefer to pay for a whole semester, or a year in advance, please visit the Living at La Trobe office to discuss.

How does my mail get to me?

Mail can be delivered direct to your residence. Include the address of your assigned residence as per below: 

[Residence Number] Gum Road 

Shepparton, VIC 3630 

What do I need to buy before I can move in?

You will need to provide your bedding linen and any basic crockery, such as plates, utensils and cooking items. Living at La Trobe provides appliances such as toasters, kettles and microwaves. 

How close is the nearest supermarket?

There is an IGA supermarket on campus in the Agora. Woolworths is located at Polaris Shopping Centre which is a 4 minute drive.

If I really want to move apartments/rooms after I move in – is that possible?

If you wish to move to another residence, you can submit a Room Transfer Request form available from the Living at La Trobe Portal. Note that these transfer requests are subject to availability and require an $85.00 fee for cleaning and administration costs once approved. 

Can I move out at any time?

When considering the premature termination of your Residential Tenancy Agreement, the following payments are required prior to vacating, as outlined by the Rules of Residence: 

•A cancellation fee of 28 days rent. 

•Loss of bond. 

•All outstanding debts and fees. 

Is there extra storage outside my apartment?

Beds are designed a little higher so you can put luggage under them however there is no additional storage outside of your room. If you have items you wish to store you will need to contact a local storage service provider.

How do I connect the internet/phone?

There is no phone in the room. For Internet, you can connect to the on-site WiFi with the login provided upon check-in.  

Is wireless internet available?

Yes, we have unlimited WIFI at this property.

What is a Bond?

 A bond is a payment that acts as security against the resident meeting the terms of their rental agreement and Rules of Residence. The bond is accepted online during the offer acceptance process. This deposit is held until the end of the resident’s lease. Following final inspection, the bond is: 

  • refunded entirely to the tenant/resident, or  

  • claimed in part or in full by the landlord/owner.  

How much is the Bond?

The bond is $1000.00 deposit.

What is a Condition Report?

Upon arrival we must prepare a ‘Condition Report’, which records the property’s general condition, including fittings and fixtures, and present you with 2 copies of this Report when you come to collect your keys. 

Review and, if necessary, add your comments to the ‘Condition Report’. You must return the report to UniLodge within three business days of moving in and you should keep a copy of the ‘Condition Report’ until the end of the tenancy. 

The ‘Condition Report’ is a very important document, as it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items, particularly at the end of a tenancy. 

You may want to take photos of your apartment at the start of your tenancy to further show the condition. 

The owner may claim some or the entire bond for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items at the end of your tenancy. If the ‘Condition Report’ stated that the work was required at the start of the tenancy, or the items were not listed, it can help you prove the bond should be returned to you. 

Check out this handy guide - Resident guide condition reports 

What happens when I vacate?

You need to leave your apartment clean and tidy in the same condition as when you arrived, ensure all personal items have been removed and report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy. This allows for a speedy bond resolution. UniLodge offer a prepaid service for departure cleaning to assist residents.

I am vacating, can I use the Bond for my last month's rent?

Your bond and rent are separate payments. You are required to pay rent in the specified way up to and including the date of your departure.

How do I receive my Bond back?

You will need to complete a bond refund form either in-person or via the StarRez Portal. Your bond payment will be refunded within 21 business days of your contract end date to the nominated bank account specified on your bond refund form.

Who do I contact in an emergency or after hours?

Please contact La Trobe Security on (03) 9479 2222.

Further Resident Information

The Resident Handbook is designed to help you to get to know the building and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a resident. We hope that this Handbook will prove useful to you in answering any questions you have, and in assisting you with the most common concerns that you may have.