Student Accommodation FAQ

UniLodge at Curtin University - Twin Dolphin Hall
Frequently Asked Questions

Got questions about living at UniLodge Twin Dolphin Hall? Find out everything you need to know about our student accommodation by checking out our most frequently asked questions. Whether you’re unsure about moving logistics, living costs, leases, or another aspect about of living in UniLodge student apartments, these questions include all the essential information you’ll need before moving in. If you have a question that you don't see answered, feel free to contact us directly.

How do I reserve a room

Complete the application via our website. Once we have received your application, we will contact you within 48 business hours by email to offer you an available apartment/room.

What additional fees need to be paid once a room is booked?

The following fees are applicable upon a successful booking application:

- Administration Fee of $118 per application

- Facility fee of $65 per person, per semester

- Activity fee of $107 per person, per semester

- Departure clean of $107 per person, per room to be paid up front.

What is included in the Activity fee?

The activity fee of $107 per semester covers all your weekly activities through our Residential Life Program. Residential Life is an integrated, contemporary, residential life program, run by UniLodge for our Residents. Itis designed to support and bring out the best in each Resident through the duties and activities carried out by Residential Advisors, the Residential Life Manager, the Customer Service Staff, and the Area General Manager. We host many different events each month.

Do I need to pay a Security Deposit?

If you are a Curtin student, we do not charge you a security deposit or bond. If you are a non-Curtin student, you will be required to pay a security deposit equivalent to 4 weeks’ rent.

Does Internet / WiFi included in my rent?

If you are a Curtin student it is included in your rent. If you are not a Curtin student, we have a selection of internet packages available for you to discuss in further detail with reception.

What kind of contracts does the property offer?

When you make your application, you can choose from an Academic year (48 weeks), 2-year agreement (2 x 48 weeks), a 3-year agreement (3 x 48 weeks) or a Semester agreement (24 weeks) for Study Abroad/Exchange (SAEX) students.

What if I need to cancel my booking before my contract start date?

Should you not receive an Academic offer from Curtin University, you are required to provide cancellation notice within 7 days of not receiving an Academic Offer and before your contract start date. You will be entitled to a refund except for the Administration Fee.

If you cancel for any other reason before your contract start date or provide notice of not receiving an academic offer after the 7-day period has lapsed, the Administration Fee and a one-week cancellation fee will be deducted from your refund.

Cancellations after your contract start date will form an early termination, in which you will need to apply to the manager and provide supporting documentation to be released from your contract.  The manager has the discretionary ability to deny applications to terminate due to insufficient information or unsuitable grounds.  If your termination is successful, accommodation fees will apply until a date decided upon by the manager as well as a termination fee equivalent to 6 weeks rent.

Do you have car parking facilities?

Limited reserved car parking is provided by as a first come first serve basis. You will need to fill out an application provided by the residence to reserve a free car parking bay, permits are compulsory and available upon a successful application.

Do you have Bicycle Storage?

Yes, the storage is FREE and bicycles must not be kept out the front of your apartment, in your bedroom, in or near emergency exits, passageways, common areas, balconies or stairwells as they cause a safety hazard. Bicycles must be stored in the storage area provided. Residents are restricted to storing one (1) bicycle per person.

What do I need to bring with me when I move in?

Your apartment is furnished with a bed, study desk and chair, wardrobe, bathroom, fridge, microwave, tv and oven (in multishare apartments). You will need to supply all your own linen & kitchen equipment – these items are available online via our convenient UniLodge online shop, Your Shop.

What do I do if I have a visitor?

You can have guests visit you at UniLodge. As this is a secure student accommodation building, all residents are required to meet their guests at the entrance door as this is only accessible by a resident swipe card/key. Your guest is bound by the rules set our in the Resident Handbook.

If your guest is staying after 10pm, this is classified as an overnight guest and you will be required to fill out an application at reception.

What do I do if I want to change room after I move in?

Once you have signed a contract for your room, there is a $100 room move administration fee plus a departure clean fee should you decide to move to a different room within on-campus housing. Room moves are subject to availability.

Can I move out at any time?

When you move into your apartment, you sign an Accommodation Agreement. This is a legally binding document that mean you have committed to paying rent from the start date on your contract. However, if you have no choice but to move out, you can break your lease if your enrolment status has changes, or, you have exceptional extenuating circumstances. 

What is a Condition Report?

We must prepare a ‘Condition Report’, which records the property’s general condition, including fittings and fixtures, and present you with a paper copies of this Report when you come to collect your keys. Review and, if necessary, add your comments to the ‘Condition Report’. You must return the report to UniLodge within three business days of moving in and you should keep a copy of the ‘Condition Report’ until the end of the tenancy. The ‘Condition Report’ is a very important document, as it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items, particularly at the end of a tenancy. You may want to take photos of your apartment at the start of your tenancy to further show the condition. You may be liable for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items at the end of your tenancy if it is not recorded on the condition report.

What happens when I vacate?

You need to leave your apartment clean and tidy, and ensure all personal items have been removed, report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy.

Can I change the agreement dates?

The agreement dates are set and approved by Curtin University, we are unable to amend the dates. You may arrive earlier if we have the availability for your preferred room types.

What happens if the room I want is not available?

If your preferred room type is not available, we will be in touch with you and offer a room that is closest to your original preference. If you do not wish to accept this alternative offer, you can remain on a waitlist for your preferred room type.

Further Resident Information

The Resident Handbook is designed to help you to get to know the building and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a resident. We hope that this Handbook will prove useful to you in answering any questions you have, and in assisting you with the most common concerns that you may have.