Student Accommodation FAQ

St Catherine’s College at Curtin University
Frequently Asked Questions

Preparing for the next stage in your life and deciding where you should live while at university can be a daunting process. With so many options on offer, it is important to know the facts.

 Find out everything you need to know about St Catherine’s College by checking out the frequently asked questions. If you have a question that you don't see answered, feel free to contact the College directly.

What is the Confirming Fee?

The Confirming Fee is a partial payment for our unique leadership, cultural engagement and innovation programs. As well as events such as Commencement and Valedictory Dinners (excluding the annual College Ball). The Confirming Fee must be paid when you accept our offer of a place at St Catherine’s College and is not a payment towards your weekly fees. Once you have paid the Program Fee the only other fees you will need to pay is your weekly fee when you move in. The College does not have a bond system in place.

How do I reserve a room?

Complete the online application.  Once we have received your application, you will be sent a pre-interview questionnaire to complete. An online interview will be scheduled with a staff member of St Catherine’s College once we have received your completed pre-interview questionnaire. Pending a successful outcome of your interview, an accommodation offer will be sent.

To accept this offer, you will be required to pay the “Confirming fee”, which include Administration Fee, Activity Fee, Facility Fee, Departure Fee, Upfront Fee, Orientation Fee and Academic Gown Fee.

What kind of contracts does St Catherine’s College offer?

46 week contract (Annual) for Premium Single and Single Ensuite rooms, and 48 week contract (Annual) for Studio Rooms. Semester contracts are only offered at the discretion of the College.

What does my rent include?

Your weekly fees include 7, 14 or 21 meals, a furnished room, all utilities, unlimited WiFi, and access to common rooms, study rooms, innovation hub, music practice rooms, micro theatre, sky lounge, games room and rooftop garden. Plus, the following programs, events and activities: 

  • World-class tutorial program offering weekly tutorials across a wide range of subjects, expert-led masterclasses, assistance with navigating university administration.
  • Employability Program which connects you with faculty and industry experts to mentor you
  • Field trips, work experience and internship opportunities
  • Orientation Weeks in Semester 1 and Semester 2 are full of fun and engaging events to help you navigate your new environment
  • Full calendar of social and cultural events 
  • Clubs and Societies ranging from Cold Dips to Photography – and everything in between
  • Formal Halls with three-course dinner and table service 
  • Gala events, including Scholars' Dinner, Commencement and Valedictory Dinners 
  • Faculty and Industry events to connect you with experts and advise you on the ever-evolving job market
  • Community service and volunteering program 
  • Comprehensive sports program (up to 20 sports) 
  • Arts and Music program 
  • Dedicated postgraduate events and activities
  • Full membership to Bloom: Centre for Youth Innovation
  • Lifetime St Catherine's Alumni membership

Do you have car parking facilities?

Parking is available on campus through CelloPark at an additional cost

How does my mail get to me?

We have letterboxes at reception and accept letters and parcels on your behalf.  Reception will contact you when we have a parcel for you to pick up, otherwise feel free to drop by reception and check your letterbox for any mail.

What do I need to buy before I can move in?

We offer bedding and kitchenware packs for purchase at Your Shop

How close is the nearest supermarket?

There is a Tucker Fresh on your doorstep and Waterford Plaza shopping centre with a Coles supermarket, shops and dining options is only 1.5kms from the College.

If I really want to move rooms after I move in - is that possible?

Once you have signed a contract for your room, there is a room move administration fee plus a departure clean fee should you decide to move to a different room within on-campus housing. Room moves are subject to availability.

Can I move out at any time?

When you move into the College, you sign an Accommodation Agreement. This is a legally binding document that means you have committed to paying rent from the start date on your contract. However, if you have no choice but to move out, you can break your lease if your enrolment status has changed, or, you have exceptional extenuating circumstances. Early Termination Fee will apply according to the Accommodation Agreement. Please refer to the College’s Resident Handbook and Accommodation Agreement for more information on this process.

Is there extra storage outside my room?

Beds are designed a little higher so you can put luggage under them however there is no additional storage outside of your room, if you have items that you wish to store you will need to contact a local storage service provider

How do I connect to the internet/phone?

There is no phone in the room. Wi-Fi access is available throughout the College. The College’s Internet network will only recognise authorised users. For WiFi issues, please contact the Curtin campus IT help desk or visit this website.

Residents require a Curtin Student Number and Password to access the College Network (Eduroam). If a resident doesn’t have a Curtin Student Number, Superloop can be contacted anytime.

Is wireless internet available?

Yes, there is unlimited WIFI at the college and wireless internet through the building.

What is a Condition Report?

We must prepare a ‘Condition Report’, which records the property’s general condition, including fittings and fixtures, and present you with a paper copy of this Report when you come to collect your keys. Review and, if necessary, add your comments to the ‘Condition Report’. You must return the report to Reception within three business days of moving in and you should keep a copy of the ‘Condition Report’ until the end of the tenancy. The ‘Condition Report’ is a very important document, as it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items, particularly at the end of a tenancy. You may want to take photos of your apartment at the start of your tenancy to further show the condition. You may be liable for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items at the end of your tenancy if it is not recorded on the condition report.

I am vacating, can I use the Confirming Fee for my last month's rent?

Your Confirming Fee and weekly rent are separate payments. You are required to pay rent in the specified way up to and including the date of your departure.

What happens when I vacate?

You need to leave your room clean and tidy in the same condition as when you arrived, ensure all personal items have been removed and report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy. This allows for a speedy bond resolution. The College offers a prepaid service for departure cleaning to assist residents. Residents must return their Academic Gowns if they are not returning to the College.