Student Accommodation FAQ

Campus Houses
Frequently Asked Questions

Got questions about living at Campus Houses? Find out everything you need to know about our student accommodation by checking out our most frequently asked questions. Whether you’re unsure about moving logistics, living costs, leases, or another aspect about of living in UniLodge student apartments, these questions include all the essential information you’ll need before moving in. If you have a question that you don't see answered, feel free to contact us directly.

How do I reserve a room at the Campus Houses?

Booking is easy! Complete an application with the University of Canterbury Accommodation Services and they will assist you with the booking process.

What kind of Residential Agreements does the property offer?

Full Year leases are preferable, but options include Academic Year (48 weeks), Semester (22 weeks).

Do you have car parking facilities?

There are some off-street parking options located near some of the houses.

What do I need to buy before I can move in?

Your Campus House is furnished with a bed, study desk and chair, wardrobe, fridge, and microwave oven. You will need to supply all of your own linen & top up kitchen equipment – available online via our convenient UniLodge online shop, Your Shop.

What do I do if I have a visitor?

You are permitted to have visitors, as long as you talk with your housemates and ask if they are OK with this. Overnight guests should be registered with the UniLodge staff team, please contact them to arrange.

If I really want to move rooms after I move in – is that possible?

There are no room moves in the first two weeks of your stay. Following this any room moves will be approved by the General Manager Portfolio as there is space available. There are no guarantees.

Can I move out at any time?

When you move into your Campus House, you sign a Residential Agreement. This is a legally binding document that means you have committed to paying rent from the start date on your contract until the end date of your contract. If you move out, you still have to pay rent until your contract expires. However, if you have no choice but to move out, you can break your agreement. This means that you need to work with the UniLodge team.

What is a Contingency Fee?

A Contingency Fee an amount of money that you need to pay that can be used if you do not meet the terms and conditions of your residential agreement. Examples of this include If you fail to keep the property clean, cause damage or are in fee arrears, UniLodge may claim some or all of the contingency fee only when the residency ends. The majority of fees are refunded in full as most UniLodgers vacate with no issues.

How much is the deposit?

Your Deposit* to secure your room is $700.00 NZD. *Your deposit is made up of the following:

  • $300 Contingency Fee (refundable)
  • $300 Administration Fee
  • $100 Residents Association Fee for one semester.

How do I pay the deposit?

To secure your stay with us, you will need to pay your deposit through our payment gateway online when you are going through the acceptance process.

What is a Condition Report?

This is a form you will be asked to fill out within 48 hours of your arrival. It is your responsibility to tell us the condition of the room/house when you arrive, and we will use this information for when you then move out to make sure you have kept the property in reasonable condition.

I am vacating, can I use the contingency fee for my last month’s rent?

No, your contingency fees and residential fees are separate payments. You are required to pay rent in the specified way up to and including the date of your departure.

What happens when I vacate?

You need to leave your house clean and tidy in the same condition as when you arrived, and ensure all personal items have been removed, report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy. This allows for a speedy bond resolution.

Do I have internet?

Yes. Internet is provided by the University of Canterbury.

Do I need to do any gardening?

The grounds and lawns are taken care of by the UC staff.

Further Resident Information

The Resident Handbook is designed to help you to get to know the building and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a resident. We hope that this Handbook will prove useful to you in answering any questions you have, and in assisting you with the most common concerns that you may have.