Student Accommodation FAQ

UniLodge John Grey Hall
Frequently Asked Questions

Got questions about living at UniLodge John Grey Hall? Find out everything you need to know about our student accommodation by checking out our most frequently asked questions. Whether you’re unsure about moving logistics, living costs, leases, or another aspect about of living in UniLodge student apartments, these questions include all the essential information you’ll need before moving in. If you have a question that you don't see answered, feel free to contact us directly.

How do I reserve a room at UniLodge John Grey Hall

  • Complete the application on our website.
  • Once we have received your application, we will contact you within 5 business days, by email to offer you an available apartment/room.
  • If you receive an offer of accommodation with UniLodge you will be required to pay an administration fee of $350, 4 weeks’ rent in advance, an annual fee ($100 Residential Life Program, $30 Facilities Fund, $30 Damages Fund) in order to secure your accommodation.
  • $55 application fee. 
  • Departure clean of $200, payable at the beginning of lease. 

What kind of contracts does the property offer?

Academic Year (41 weeks), Trimester (47 weeks), single Trimester, Semester 1 and Semester 2. Please note, semester and single trimester contracts are only available to Study Abroad and Exchange Students, or those who are completing a course mid year or at the end of that period.

Do you have car parking facilities?

Dedicated reserved car parking is provided for UniLodge John Grey Hall residents. Permits are compulsory and available from UniLodge reception. Limited parking is available.

What do I need to buy before I can move in?

Your apartment is furnished with a bed with mattress protector, study desk and chair, wardrobe, TV, fridge, kettle, toaster and microwave oven.

You will need to supply all of your own linen & kitchen equipment – available online via our convenient UniLodge online shop, Your Shop.

What do I do if I have a visitor?

If you wish to have an overnight guest, please click this link to fill out our Overnight Guest Request Form.

If I really want to move rooms after I move in – is that possible?

Yes, you can but you will be required to pay an apartment move fee and departure fee prior to doing so.

Can I move out at any time?

When you move into your apartment, you sign a Residential Agreement. This is a legally binding document that means you have committed to paying rent from the start date on your contract until the end date of your contract. If you move out, you still have to pay rent until your contract expires. However, if you have no choice but to move out, you can break your lease. This means that you need to pay an early termination fee and the rent until someone else takes over your contract.

What is a Condition Report?

Once you have been checked in, you will receive an electronic Condition Report to complete within 24 hours of checking in. A Condition Report records the property’s general condition, including fittings and fixtures. Review and, if necessary, add your comments to the Condition Report. The Condition Report is a very important document, as it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items, particularly at the end of a tenancy. You may want to take photos of your apartment at the start of your tenancy to further show the condition. You may be liable for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items at the end of your tenancy if it is not recorded on the condition report.

What happens when I vacate?

You need to leave your apartment clean and tidy, and ensure all personal items have been removed, report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy. You will also need to make sure that all of your rent and fees are paid up until the end of your contract end date.

I have a maintenance request. How do I log this with the building/get this issue attended to?

You will need to log onto the UniLodge App and go to the HOME tab then Quick Links and report Maintenance Request. If your matter is urgent, please contact reception or if it is after hours, contact the RA on duty.

I am going on holidays. How do I let the property know?

Please fill out this form: Click Here

What fees do I need to pay?

  • Four weeks rent in advance
  • Annual fee (including Residential Life Program $100, Facilities Fund $30 and Damages Fund $30)
  • Administration fee of $350
  • Application fee of $55 
  • Departure clean of $200, payable at the beginning of the contract

Where can I find resources to manage my health and wellbeing?

UniLodge has listed a number of resources on our Student Health and Wellbeing page.

What are your check-in times and days?

Residents may check-in Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

Do you offer after hours check-in?

Yes, please contact our after hours on duty Residential Advisor on 0409 333 208.

What is the process for arranging an after hours check-in?

Ensure you that you have notified us during business hours of your after hours arrival details so that we can prepare the after hours Residential Advisor, who will be on duty, to receive you.

Do you accept couples?

We accept couples at UniLodge John Grey Hall, as long as both residents are currently enrolled students with a student number. Couples are not permitted if only 1 resident is an eligible student. 

Is UniLodge John Grey Hall NPAS Accredited?

Yes, UniLodge John Grey Hall achieved NPAS accreditation in 2023. The National Property Accreditation Scheme (NPAS) is an industry-led program that is owned, governed, developed and administered by the Student Accommodation Association (SAA) to assist national education stakeholders to identify, promote and support quality managed student accommodation businesses which provide accommodation for the exclusive use of students. NPAS represents a stamp of quality, enabling students to make an informed choice about their accommodation. For a student accommodation property to be NPAS accredited, it must comply with the minimum standards set by the SAA with respect to amenity, facility, security, customer service and management processes.

NPAS - UniLodge John Grey Hall

Further Resident Information

The Resident Handbook is designed to help you to get to know the building and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a resident. We hope that this Handbook will prove useful to you in answering any questions you have, and in assisting you with the most common concerns that you may have.