Student Accommodation FAQ

UniLodge on Margaret
Frequently Asked Questions

Got questions about living at UniLodge on Margaret? Find out everything you need to know about our student accommodation by checking out our most frequently asked questions. Whether you’re unsure about moving logistics, living costs, leases, or another aspect about of living in UniLodge student apartments, these questions include all the essential information you’ll need before moving in. If you have a question that you don't see answered, check in our blog or feel free to contact us directly.

Paying the Bond?

All rental bonds for properties in Queensland are lodged with the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) a state government body. Payment must be made payable to the RTA (not UniLodge).  We ask that you provide us with a bank cheque (a bank cheque is a cheque issued by the bank under their name; you can purchase one of these from any Australian Bank).  Alternatively, a money order (Available from Australia post) is acceptable.  Remember the cheque/Money Order must be made payable to the ‘Residential Tenancies  Authority’. Bring the bond cheque/money order with you when you are collecting your keys, At this meeting, you will complete and sign the official “Bond Lodgement Form”.  We will forward this to the RTA and then the RTA will send a receipt to you direct. Contact the RTA on 1300 366 311 if you have not received a receipt 15 business days after paying your bond. We understand that it may not always be possible to arrange for either a bank cheque or money order prior to arrival and in these instances we recommend you take advantage of the RTA’s online bond lodgement option and bring a copy of this with you when you arrive.

What is a Condition Report?

When you pay a bond, we must prepare a ‘Condition Report’, which records the property’s general condition, including fittings and fixtures, and present you with a copy of this Report when you come to collect your keys.

Review and, if necessary, add your comments to the ‘Condition Report’. You must return the report to UniLodge within three business days of moving in and you should keep a copy of the ‘Condition Report’ until the end of the tenancy.

The ‘Condition Report’ is a very important document, as it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items, particularly at the end of a tenancy, a copy which will be provided upon completion.

You may want to take photos of your apartment at the start of your tenancy to further show the condition.

The owner may claim some or the entire bond for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items at the end of your tenancy. If the ‘Condition Report’ stated that the work was required at the start of the tenancy, or the items were not listed, it can help you prove the bond should be returned to you.

I am vacating, can I use the Bond for my last months rent?

Your bond and rent are separate payments. You are required to pay rent in the specified way up to and including the date of your departure.

What happens when I vacate?

You need to leave your apartment clean and tidy in the same condition as when you arrived, and ensure all personal items have been removed, report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy. This allows for a speedy bond resolution.

How do I receive my Bond back?

At the end of the tenancy we will provide you a “Bond Claim” form for completion (or you can download your own copy from the RTA website), Please ensure you sign the form with the same signature as you used on the “Bond Lodgement” form at the start of your tenancy. The RTA will match signatures and will only process your claim if they match. We will lodge the bond claim form once we have the owner and your signed agreement, it then takes another 2-3 business days for the RTA to process, it repays the bond directly into the nominated bank account on the form, If you have not provided valid bank account details, but have provided a forwarding address, the RTA will send a cheque. If the RTA is unable to do either of the above they will retain your money, you will need to contact them via phone on 1300 366 311 to organise for your refund to be released to you.

Why are you claiming my Bond?

The Owner is entitled to compensation if you have failed any terms or conditions in your tenancy agreement or breached the Residential Tenancies Act (Queensland State Government Law covering rental issues).  Please note that the owner cannot claim for wear and tear of items or fittings in the apartment. At UniLodge the vast majority of these sorts of issues are resolved by agreement between the owner and the tenant. If there is no agreement then the Owner may decide to ask the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) to hold a hearing to finally decide on the issue. Please note if the matter goes to QCAT then the resolution of the bond will exceed the timeframe mentioned above as we must wait for a hearing date from QCAT.

Does this property have an Application fee?

No. There are no application fees.

Is an advanced rental payment required?

Yes. To secure an apartment, the Tenant must pay 1 months advanced rent and a Security Deposit / Bond of 4 weeks rent.

Is there a cancellation fee once I have secured an apartment?

Yes there is a cancellation fee of 1 months rent.

Are car parking spaces available?

Yes there are 7 car parking spaces available at a cost of $475 per month. Motorbike parking is also available at a cost of $100 per month. Bicycle parking is free of charge. Spaces are limited and subject to availability.

Do I need to pay a departure clean fee?

The cost to clean an apartment is $329.

If I wanted to break my lease, what are the costs associated with this?

The cost is 2 weeks rent plus rental costs until the apartment is leased again.

What electricity cost am I responsible for?

Electricity costs are paid for by the apartment owner.

How much is the Internet / WIFI? Who is the provider and how much bandwidth do I have?

Internet access and WIFI is provided by VostroNet and Unlimited WIFI is included in your rent.

Do I need a mattress protector?

A new mattress protector is supplied with every new tenancy.

Do I need to organise my own Contents Insurance?

No this is included in your rental payments. To view the UniLodge Contents Insurance Product Disclosure Statement - Click Here.

What do I need to do to reserve a room at UniLodge on Margaret?

Booking is easy! There are a couple of ways you can do it:

  • Complete the online application.
  • You can print your booking request and send it to us via email
  • Visit the property and complete an application form.

Contact the property by phone on +61 7 3295 3500 if you have any questions.

How much money do I have to pay upfront before I move in?

You will need to pay two (2) weeks advance rent within 48 hours of receiving your letter of offer. Payment can be made by bank transfer only. Please note that your booking will not be guaranteed until this payment is received.


The Bond Security Deposit of four (4) weeks advance rent will need to be paid within 3 days after check in date. Failure to pay this within the required timeframe will result in keys and fob deactivation. Please reach out to reception if you have issues with this.

What does my rent include?

Your rent includes:

  • Occupancy fee of your furnished unit
  • Hot and cold water
  • Electricity
  • Telephone connection
  • Telephone line rental
  • Voicemail on your phone
  • Use of all facilities including communal kitchen and swimming pool
  • Community Spirit Program membership
  • Internet

What does my rent exclude?

Your rent does not include:

  • Car parking (there are car park spaces on site which are subject to availability but must be paid for separately at a rate of $400/month)
  • The cost of telephone calls
  • Cleaning of your unit (vacuum cleaners can be hired from reception for $2 per 30 minutes)
  • Meals

What do I do if I, or my family need somewhere to stay prior to checking into UniLodge?

If you or your family need somewhere to stay for a couple of nights to a week, or rest your head after coming in from a late-night flight then why not book at Essence Suites Taringa. Offering fully furnished suites that give you the freedom to relax in a place away from home.

Where can I find resources to manage my health and wellbeing?

UniLodge has listed a number of resources on our Student Health and Wellbeing page.

What are your check-in times and days?

Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm, Saturday to Sunday 10am to 3pm, CLOSED on Public Holidays.

Do you offer after hours check-in?

Unfortunately, we do not offer check-ins outside of specified check-in times. We recommend that you prearrange a hotel or alternative accommodation until you’re able to check-in during check-in hours.

Further Resident Information

The Resident Handbook is designed to help you to get to know the building and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a resident. We hope that this Handbook will prove useful to you in answering any questions you have, and in assisting you with the most common concerns that you may have.