Student Accommodation FAQ

La Trobe University – Orde House
Frequently Asked Questions

Who can apply to stay at a Living at La Trobe property?

Eligibility criteria: All Students aged 18 and over, who are enrolled in a La Trobe University (or La Trobe College Australia, RMIT University or Wodonga Institute of TAFE) course of study are eligible to apply to live at Living at La Trobe.

How do I reserve a room?

To reserve a room, simply complete the online application here. Once we have received your application, we will send you a letter of offer. To accept this offer you will be required to pay a bond payment of $1000. If you need any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

What kind of contracts does Living at La Trobe offer?

22-week and 44-week contracts are available, commencing in February and July. If you are uncertain about your study dates, contact our team for further information.

What does my rent include?

A fully furnished apartment, all utilities are included, access to unlimited internet and Wi-Fi, use of our common facilities and ability to participate in our Residential Life Program.

Do you have car parking facilities?

On campus permit parking is available through La Trobe University. You can purchase parking via Car parking permits.

When do I pay my rent?

Rent is charged per fortnight – you will receive a charge on the first business day of each fortnight. If you would prefer to pay for a whole semester, or a year in advance, please visit the Living at La Trobe office to discuss.

Click here to view the 2024 Rent Payment Calendar.

How does my mail get to me?

Mail at our Bendigo campus can be collected from the Living at La Trobe office during office hours.  Your mail can be directed to you as follows:

Name, College, Room Number 
Living at La Trobe, 21 Sharon Street
PO Box 199, Flora Hill, VIC 3550 

You will be sent an SMS notification whenever we receive your mail.

What do I need to buy before I can move in?

You will need to provide your bedding linen and any basic crockery, such as plates, utensils and cooking items. You can purchase our Bed and Bath Essentials here or our Kitchen and Dining Essentials here. Living at La Trobe provides appliances such as toasters, kettles and microwaves. 

How close is the nearest supermarket?

The closest supermarket is the Kennington Village Woolworths, located at 150-180 Condon Street. This is a short walk or car trip, or you can catch the local bus lines 61 or 70. 

If I really want to move apartments/rooms after I move in - is that possible?

If you wish to move to another residence, submit a Room Transfer Request form, available from the Living at La Trobe Portal. (Note: these transfer requests are subject to availability and once approved require an $85.00 fee for cleaning and administration costs).

Can I move out at any time?

When considering the early termination of your Residential Agreement, the following payments are required prior to vacating, as outlined by the Rules of Residence: 

  • A cancellation fee of 28 days rent
  • All outstanding debts and fees.

Is there extra storage outside my apartment?

Beds are designed a little higher so you can put luggage under them, however there is no additional storage outside of your room.  If you have items you wish to store you will need to contact a local storage service provider.

How do I connect the internet/phone?

There is no phone in the room. For Internet, you can connect to the local Eduroam network using your La Trobe University login. If you have difficulty accessing the WIFI, you can contact La Trobe Ask ICT.

Is wireless internet available?

Yes, we have unlimited WIFI at this property and wireless internet through the building.

What is a Bond?

A bond is a payment that acts as security against the resident meeting the terms of their residence agreement.

How much is the Bond?

The bond is $1000.00.

What is a Condition Report?

Upon arrival we must prepare a ‘Condition Report’, which records the property’s general condition, including fittings and fixtures and present you with two (2) copies of this Report when you collect your keys.

Review and, if necessary, add your comments to the ‘Condition Report’. You must return the report to UniLodge within three (3) business days of moving in and you should keep a copy of the ‘Condition Report’ until the end of the tenancy.

The ‘Condition Report’ is a very important document, as it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items, particularly at the end of a tenancy.

You may want to take photos of your apartment at the start of your tenancy to further show the condition.

Living at La Trobe may claim some or the entire bond for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items at the end of your tenancy. If the ‘Condition Report’ stated that the work was required at the start of the residence agreement, or the items were not listed, it can help you prove the bond should be returned to you.

I am vacating, can I use the Bond for my last month's rent?

No, you cannot as your bond and rent are separate payments. You are required to pay rent in the specified way up to and including the date of your departure. 

What happens when I vacate?

You need to leave your apartment clean and tidy in the same condition as when you arrived, ensure all personal items have been removed and report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy. This allows for a speedy bond resolution.

As a final step, you will need to complete a Bond Refund Form on the Living at La Trobe Portal and nominate the bank account you would like your bond deposit refunded back into. 

How do I receive my Bond back?

You will need to complete a bond refund form via the StarRez Portal. Your bond payment will be refunded within 21 business days of your contract end date to the nominated bank account specified.

Who do I contact in an emergency or after hours?

Please contact the Night Manager on duty on 0407 270 540.

Paying the Bond?

You are required to pay the bond deposit when accepting your letter of offer. Need more information? Contact our team!

If I wanted to break my lease, what are the costs associated with this?

If you wish to terminate your lease early, you will be responsible for the paying:

  • A cancellation fee of 28 days rent
  • All outstanding debts and fees.