UniLodge Australia Pty Ltd (ACN 078 921 169) and its related bodies corporate (UniLodge) are committed to protecting the privacy of individuals and their personal information or personal data (as defined in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Australian Privacy Act) or the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 (NZ Privacy Act), together the Privacy Law, in respect of individuals within Australia or New Zealand, as the case may be) or personal data (as defined in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in respect of individuals in the EU).
Please read this carefully as it will have important consequences for you in relation to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information or personal data provided to UniLodge.
You understand that:
- UniLodge is the party who is collecting your personal information or personal data. You can contact us by email at info@UniLodge.com.au, or alternatively you can write to us at GPO Box 2481, Brisbane, Qld, 4001 Australia.
- The purposes of UniLodge collecting your personal information or personal data includes but is not limited to:
- verifying your details, and enrolment at an eligible University;
- processing your application for enrolment at a UniLodge residence;
- providing you with accommodation, and all of the related support and services that UniLodge offers to residents;
- assisting you in the case of any injury or emergency in connection with us or that occurs on UniLodge’s premises; and
- to exercise UniLodge’s duty of care to you when you are on its premises and assist with your rehabilitation;
- processing any payments in connection with your enrolment at a UniLodge residence;
- providing you with marketing materials concerning upcoming events UniLodge thinks may be of interest to you;
- ensuring your safety when on UniLodge’s premises and verifying any instances of breach of its rules, the applicable law or complaints by way of video recording and image capture,
- Wherever possible we collect personal information directly from you. In some instances, we may collect personal information or personal data from your alternative contact (such as your parent or guardian). You acknowledge that your alternative contact is aware that UniLodge holds their information for the purposes of exercising its duty of care to you. We may also collect personal information or personal data from third parties including your university (if you are a student applicant) or your previous landlords or rental agents (if you are a non-student applicant).
- In some instances UniLodge may collect personal information or personal data from you which is unsolicited. To the extent reasonable, UniLodge will delete or de-identify any unsolicited personal information. However, due to the nature of UniLodge’s IT system, if you use UniLodge’s IT system to send or receive personal emails UniLodge will be unable to remove any personal information or personal data which is backed up and stored on UniLodge’s servers. You acknowledge and you agree to your personal information or personal data being collected and stored by UniLodge.
- If UniLodge does not collect this personal information or personal data in connection with the purposes in paragraph 2, it may not be able to assist you with your application to reside at a UniLodge premises.
- Your personal information or personal data being disclosed to the following classes of people and organisations for the purposes in paragraph 2:
- UniLodge, its personnel and related entities;
- your financial institution and UniLodge’s financial institution;
- third party service providers (such as event co-ordination and hire, IT suppliers);
- medical or health service providers that are required to assist you in the case of an emergency;
- It is possible that some of the information collected for the purpose of your residence at UniLodge premises may be disclosed to UniLodge’s related bodies corporate or service providers outside of Australia or New Zealand, as the case may be. You consent to your information being disclosed to a destination outside Australia or New Zealand (whichever applies) for this purpose, and you understand and acknowledge that either the Australian Privacy Principle 8.1 or the NZ Privacy Act will not apply to such disclosures of your personal information or personal data outside of the relevant jurisdiction.
Additional information for residents of the European Union
If you are a resident of the European Union and we collect personal data from you, the following additional information applies to you:
- UniLodge is a “data controller” (as defined in the GDPR) and is responsible for processing your personal data in relation to your residency application and (if successful) your tenancy in UniLodge premises in Australia.
- We will store your personal data collected in accordance with this statement until the expiry of 12 months from the date of termination of your residency with us.
- We may transfer your personal data to our related entities in Australia or New Zealand (as the case may be), and this transfer is protected by contractual obligations between UniLodge and each of these entities safeguarding the security of your personal data.
- Under the GDPR, you are entitled to:
- (access) request access to your personal data held by UniLodge;
- (rectification) request to update or rectify any of the personal data that UniLodge holds about you by contacting us at the details specified above and request personal data updates;
- (erasure) request the we erase your personal data that UniLodge holds, where that data is no longer required for the purpose for which it was collected;
- (restriction on processing) obtain from UniLodge a restriction on processing of your personal data where:
- the accuracy of the personal data is contested;
- the processing by UniLodge of the personal data is unlawful (and you oppose erasure but request restriction of use);
- UniLodge no longer needs your personal data; or
- you have objected to processing pursuant to your right to object under Article 21(1) of the GDPR;
- (data portability) request that UniLodge:
- provides you with a copy of the personal data that UniLodge holds about you in a portable and machine readable form; or
- share your personal data with a nominated third party.
- UniLodge does not engage in any automated decision-making (such as profiling) in respect of your personal data.
- If you have any concerns in relation to UniLodge’s collection or processing of your personal data pursuant to this statement, then you also have a right to complain to the data protection authority https://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/article29/item-detail.cfm?item_id=612080 in your EU country (within the meaning of the GDPR).