Student Accommodation FAQ

UniLodge JCU Halls of Residence – Rotary International House
Frequently Asked Questions

Got questions about living at UniLodge JCU Halls of Residence Rotary International House? Find out everything you need to know about our student accommodation by checking out our most frequently asked questions. Whether you’re unsure about moving logistics, living costs, leases, or another aspect about of living in UniLodge student apartments, these questions include all the essential information you’ll need before moving in. If you have a question that you don't see answered, check in our blog or feel free to contact us directly.

How do I reserve a room?

Click the Apply Now button and complete your application. We will contact you as soon as possible with an offer. 

What kind of contracts does the property offer?

Academic Year (41 weeks), Trimester (47 weeks), single Trimester, Semester 1 and Semester 2. Please note, semester and single trimester contracts are only available to Study Abroad and Exchange Students, or those who are completing a course mid year or at the end of that period.

Do you have car park facilities?

Parking is available at each site. Parking permits are compulsory at Burralga Yumba and the Townhouses. These are free for residents and are available at reception.

What do I need to bring on arrival?

Your apartment is furnished with a king single bed (with mattress protector), study desk and chair, wardrobe, fridge, and microwave. You will need supply all of your own linen & kitchen equipment – available online via our convenient UniLodge online shop, Your Shop.

If I wanted to move rooms after I moved in, is that possible?

Yes, but the request will be based on availability. You will be required to pay a $100 room move fee prior to doing so.

Can I move out at any time?

When you move into your apartment, you sign a Residential Agreement. This is a legally binding document that means you have committed to paying rent from the start date on your contract until the end date of your contract. However, if you have no choice but to move out, you can break your lease. This means that you need to pay an early termination fee and the rent until someone else takes over your contract.

What happens when I vacate?

You need to leave your apartment clean and tidy and ensure all personal items have been removed, report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy. You will also need to make sure that all of your rent and fees are paid up until the end of your contract end date.

What is a condition report?

Once you have been checked in, you will receive an electronic Condition Report to complete within 24 hours of checking in. A Condition Report records the property’s general condition, including fittings and fixtures. Review and, if necessary, add your comments to the Condition Report. The Condition Report is a very important document, as it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items, particularly at the end of a tenancy. You may want to take photos of your apartment at the start of your tenancy to further show the condition. You may be liable for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items at the end of your tenancy if it is not recorded on the condition report.

What fees do I need to pay?

  • Application Fee $55 
  • Administration Fee of $350
  • Annual fee including: $100 for Residential Life Program, $30 Facilities and $30 Damages
  • 4 weeks rent paid upfront

Where can I find resources to manage my health and wellbeing?

UniLodge has listed a number of resources on our Student Health and Wellbeing page.

Do you accept couples?

We accept couples at UniLodge JCU Halls of Residence - Rotary International House, as long as both residents are currently enrolled students studying at JCU. Couples are not permitted if only 1 resident is an eligible student. 

Further Resident Information

The Resident Handbook is designed to help you to get to know the building and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a resident. We hope that this Handbook will prove useful to you in answering any questions you have, and in assisting you with the most common concerns that you may have.