Got questions about living at UniLodge @ RMIT Bundoora - Walert House? Find out everything you need to know about our student accommodation by checking out our most frequently asked questions. Whether you’re unsure about moving logistics, living costs, leases, or another aspect about of living in UniLodge student apartments, these questions include all the essential information you’ll need before moving in. If you have a question that you don't see answered, feel free to contact us directly.

What are your check-in times and days?

Reception is open from 7am until 7pm Monday to Friday and from 10am until 4pm on Saturdays

Do you offer after hours check-in?

Yes, via our Duty RA.

What is the process for arranging an after hours check-in?

Please call the Duty RA on 0429 094 773 or via the intercom at the front door. The Duty RA will be able to provide you with your key and show you to your room.

Can I apply for a short stay?

Yes. We offer short stay in our Studio Standard Apartments.

RMIT students can stay from 1 night plus. Students from other tertiary institutions can stay from 7 nights plus.

Please read the Short Stay Information Sheet for more details. You can apply for short stay directly here.

Where can I find resources to manage my health and wellbeing?

UniLodge has listed a number of resources on our Student Health and Wellbeing page, you can also visit the RMIT’s student support resources page.

What do I do if I, or my family need somewhere to stay prior to checking into UniLodge?

If you or your family need somewhere to stay for a couple of nights to a week, or rest your head after coming in from a late-night flight then why not book at Quest Bundoora. Offering comfortable rooms that give you the freedom to relax in a place away from home.

Are there any car park spaces or bicycle bays available?

120 car park bays are available in a dedicated area across from the building for a cost of $242 per year or $137.50 for 6 months. Permits are available for purchase through RMIT’s parking website. Bike spaces are free, and are located in a secure on site bike shed.

For how long can an extra guest stay with me and what is the cost?

A guest can stay for free for a maximum of 3 nights.

Do I need to organise my own Contents Insurance?

Yes, contents insurance is not provided.

How much is the Internet / WIFI? Who is the provider and how much bandwidth do I have?

Internet access and WIFI is provided by RMIT, and unlimited WIFI is included in the residence fees.

What electricity cost am I responsible for?

Unlimited electricity, gas, and water usage are all  included in the residence fees.

What are the costs associated with an early termination of my agreement?

The cost is 2 weeks’ worth of residence fees, as well as continued payment of residence fees payment until a replacement takes over.

Do I need to pay a departure clean fee?

Yes, and the cost is $130 per person.

Is there a cancellation fee once I have secured an apartment?

If you do not receive an RMIT academic offer or do not receive a visa, provided you notify us by the cut-off date specified in your offer letter, there is no cancellation fee. All fees paid will be fully refunded to you. If you cancel for a different reason, or cancel after the cut-off date, a $200 cancellation fee will be taken from your security deposit. The balance remaining will then be refunded to you. 

Is an advanced payment of fees required?

Yes. A refundable security deposit equal to 4 weeks’ worth of residence fees will be held during your stay, and the first 4 weeks’ worth of residence fees are both required in advance.

What COVID-19 safe measurements are taken to ensure the health and wellbeing of our residents?

UniLodge @ RMIT Bundoora- Walert House routine cleaning of common areas and regular sanitation cleaning of high touch areas occurs daily. Inhouse private events that occur at Walert House follow all State and Federal COVID-19 guidelines, ensuring that social distancing and number restrictions are followed.

UniLodge communication between residents is made via email or in person in relation to COVID-19 updates. Communication is made regularly to ensure that residents are aware of any changes within Walert House or state and federal guidelines that might have changed or will change. 

How do I self isolate due to COVID-19 if I live in a shared accommodation? Who do I tell?

If you are required to self-isolate as you are symptomatic, have been to an exposure site or are a close contact of someone with COVID-19, we request that you immediately notify any member of UniLodge staff, who will in return guide you on how to isolate within the building. In most cases you will be required to shift to a Standard Studio apartment for the duration of your isolation period that we have on standby for this purpose. Walert House staff will then assist you and provide you with all the support you require during your isolation period.

I’m having trouble coping with isolation and loneliness due to COVID-19. What can I do?

If you or someone you know is in distress and want to talk to someone about it, you are always welcome to contact our Residential Life Manager, Chelsea via email, or contact RMIT Counselling on 9925 5000 or make an appointment online through your RMIT Connect student account. There are a number of support services available such as Lifeline on 13 11 14 and BeyondBlue on 1300 224 636 that you can connect with during this time. 

I’m struggling to pay my rent because of COVID-19. What can I do?

If you’re struggling to pay your rent, we encourage you to contact reception staff as a matter of priority so we can assist. UniLodge have several options available to help different financial hardship circumstances, including payment plans. Each person’s financial situation is different, and applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis.

What happens if I don’t get an offer to study at RMIT or a visa to study in Australia?

If you are unsuccessful in receiving a letter of offer from RMIT, please send through a copy of either your rejection letter from RMIT or your letter of offer from another tertiary institution that you will be attending.

Accepted documentation for a refused visa is the email and refusal notification from the Department of Home Affairs. You must advise us of your booking cancellation within 24 hours of receiving refusal notification from the Department of Home Affairs. Confirmation of the cancellation will be sent via email.

If you have not received a study offer from RMIT, please provide your offer letter from the University that you will be attending.

For full terms and conditions please view here.

Further Resident Information

The Resident Handbook is designed to help you to get to know the building and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a resident. We hope that this Handbook will prove useful to you in answering any questions you have, and in assisting you with the most common concerns that you may have.