Student Accommodation FAQ

La Trobe University – Menzies College
Frequently Asked Questions

Have more questions about living at our La Trobe residences? Find out everything you need to know about our accommodation by checking out our most frequently asked questions. Whether you want to know more on moving, living costs, leases, or anything in between, these questions will cover all you’ll need to know before making your move. If you have a question still unanswered, you can contract us directly. 

Who can apply to stay at a Living at La Trobe property?

Eligibility criteria: All Students aged 18 and over, who are enrolled in a La Trobe University (or La Trobe College Australia, RMIT University or Wodonga Institute of TAFE) course of study are eligible to apply to live at Living at La Trobe.

Who do I contact in an emergency or after hours?

Please contact the Night Manager on duty on 0423 162 672.

Paying the Bond?

You are required to pay the bond deposit when accepting your letter of offer. Need more information? Contact our team!

What do I do if I, or my family need somewhere to stay prior to checking into UniLodge?

If you or your family need somewhere to stay for a couple of nights to a week, or rest your head after coming in from a late-night flight then why not book at Essence Hotel Carlton. Offering comfortable rooms that give you the freedom to relax in a place away from home.

What are your check-in times and days?

Residents are able to check-in after 2pm on their contract start date. Please let reception know when you expect to check-in.

When should I apply?

We recommend that you apply for accommodation at your preferred campus as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. Applications are made online, and are all open from our Melbourne Campus Open Day

Do I have to pay all my rent upfront?

No. In order to secure a room/apartment, you must pay a security deposit of $1000.00 before you check-in.

Is there an application fee?

No, you can apply to live at La Trobe University - Menzies College for free.

Can I see the accommodation before I apply?

We encourage you to attend an Open Day or Experience La Trobe event, as it is a great opportunity to view the residential colleges as well as explore the university campus. If you can't attend these events please book a property inspection here.

Do I need to be a full-time student to apply?

No, you just have to be enrolled at a tertiary institute in at least a part time capacity.

Do I need to be a La Trobe University student?

Priority is given to La Trobe University students. If there are vacancies after first round offers, we are able to consider RMIT Bundoora students and students studying in the CBD (please keep in mind we are a 45 minute tram ride from the city).

What if I have not received a first-round university offer to study at La Trobe?

If you hope to receive a study placement in second or third round offers, we can offer anyone who studies at a tertiary institute accommodation – please contact our team to let us know you are still interested in living at La Trobe and keep us informed if you do receive a study offer for that semester in a subsequent round.

Can I apply for only one semester?

Yes, you can apply for a semester contract.

Is there a cancellation fee once I have secured an apartment?

No cancellation fee applies if you cancel before the rental agreement commences.

Can I stay over the holiday period?

During the academic year, you are able to stay in your residence throughout the mid-year break. You will continue to pay rent for this period, regardless of whether you remain there or not, as rent is calculated based on a 44 weeks contract.

Do I need to organise my own contents insurance?

Yes. This is not included in your rental payments.

What hours is reception open?

Our reception desk is open between the hours of 7:00am to 6:00pm, 7 days a week, with a Night Manager on duty from 3:00pm to 7:00am.

Do I need to purchase a mattress protector?

No, mattress protectors are provided.

Are meals provided?

We do not provide meals, however there is breakfast and dinner catering options available at an additional cost.

How do I reserve a room?

To reserve a room, simply complete the online application here. Once we have received your application, we will send you a letter of offer. To accept this offer you will be required to pay a bond payment of $1000. If you need any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

What kind of contracts are on offer?

22-week and 44-week contracts are available, commencing in February and July.


What does my rent include?

A fully furnished apartment, all utilities are included, access to unlimited internet and Wi-Fi, use of our common facilities and ability to participate in our Residential Life Program.

Do you have car parking facilities?

There is free parking available outside the hours of Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm. If you wish to park your car during these times, residents of will require a valid car parking permit.

When do I pay my rent?

Rent is charged per fortnight – you will receive a charge on the first business day of each fortnight. If you would prefer to pay for a whole semester, or a year in advance, please visit the Living at La Trobe office to discuss.

How does my mail get to me?

We accept letters on your behalf.  Reception will contact you when we have a letter for you to pick up, otherwise feel free to call past reception and check for any mail during office hours. Please note, there is a restriction on the type and size of mail we can accept.

What do I need to buy before I can move in?

When you arrive, your room will be already furnished with a bed, mattress, desk and chair. You will need to provide your own linen. Beds are king single beds at Menzies College.

You can customise your room with posters, pictures and decorations. If you would like a small bar fridge in your room, you are welcome to bring one. Essential items to bring with you are bed linen (sheets, pillow, doona, blankets), towels, washing powder, laundry basket, clothes hangers, tea-towels, personal toiletries and clothing.

How close is the nearest supermarket?

There is an IGA supermarket on campus in the Agora. Woolworths is located at Polaris Shopping Centre which is a 4 minute drive.

If I really want to move apartments/rooms after I move in – is that possible?

You can move into a different apartment/room after you move in, however you will be subject to the $85 room move fee. You will need to contact us so we can determine if there is any availability for you to move.

Can I move out at any time?

If you wish to terminate your lease early, you will need to pay a departure cleaning fee of $130, a cancellation fee equivalent to four (4) weeks rental fees and your bond payment of $1000 will be forfeited.

Is there extra storage outside my apartment?

Beds are designed a little higher so you can put luggage under them however there is no additional storage outside of your room. If you have items you wish to store you will need to contact a local storage service provider.

How do I connect the internet/phone?

There is no phone in the room. For internet, please refer to the troubleshooting guide if you are having issues with connection of your internet, otherwise La Trobe University ICT can be contacted between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Is wireless internet available?

Yes we have unlimited WIFI at this property and wireless internet through the building.

What is a Bond?

A bond is a payment that acts as security against the resident meeting the terms of their rentidence agreement.

How much is the Bond?

The bond is $1000.00.

What is a Condition Report?

Upon arrival we must prepare a ‘Condition Report’, which records the property’s general condition, including fittings and fixtures and present you with two (2) copies of this Report when you collect your keys.

Review and, if necessary, add your comments to the ‘Condition Report’. You must return the report to UniLodge within three (3) business days of moving in and you should keep a copy of the ‘Condition Report’ until the end of the tenancy.

The ‘Condition Report’ is a very important document, as it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items, particularly at the end of a tenancy.

You may want to take photos of your apartment at the start of your tenancy to further show the condition.

The owner may claim some or the entire bond for cleaning, damage, or replacement of missing items at the end of your tenancy. If the ‘Condition Report’ stated that the work was required at the start of the residence agreement, or the items were not listed, it can help you prove the bond should be returned to you.

I am vacating, can I use the Bond for my last month's rent?

Your bond and rent are separate payments. You are required to pay rent in the specified way up to and including the date of your departure.

What happens when I vacate?

You need to leave your apartment clean and tidy in the same condition as when you arrived, ensure all personal items have been removed and report any damage that may have been caused during your tenancy. This allows for a speedy bond resolution. UniLodge offer a prepaid service for departure cleaning to assist residents.

How do I receive my Bond back?

You will need to complete a bond refund form either in-person or via the StarRez Portal. Your bond payment will be refunded within 21 business days of your contract end date to the nominated bank account specified on your bond refund form.

If I wanted to break my lease, what are the costs associated with this?

If you wish to terminate your lease early, you will need to pay a departure cleaning fee of $130, a cancellation fee equivalent to four (4) weeks rental fees and your bond payment of $1000 will be forfeited.

Further Resident Information

The Resident Handbook is designed to help you to get to know the building and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a resident. We hope that this Handbook will prove useful to you in answering any questions you have, and in assisting you with the most common concerns that you may have.